Chapter 24: Promise me

Start from the beginning

"But I'm not as strong as you and I will be overcome with worry if I don't put something on you scrapes. Will you be a strong girl and protect me from worrying?"

Nodding her head, the girl wrapped her arms around her neck when she rose. She carried her to the chair she had just vacated and told her to wait there. Coming back with some ice she crouched in front of the girl and pressed it against her skin. The girl grimaced from the contact but Jewel didn't let on that she had seen the small show of pain.

"What is your name?" Jewel asked as the redness began to go down.

"Aurora."

Looking up at the sweet girl, she said, "Nice to meet you, Aurora. My name is Jewel."

Aurora smiled and reached forward in a hug, her small arms wrapped around her neck and she chuckled as she squeezed tight.

"I like you Jewel. Those boys are meanies."

Loosening the hold Aurora had on her neck, Jewel picked up the girl and sat her on her lap. Her knees didn't look too bad and the tears in her eyes had all but disappeared.

"Who were those mean boys?"

"One was my brother and the other two are his friends. His friend Isaac is nice to me, but when he is with my brother, he is a meanie."

She crossed her arms and huffed. Jewel had to stifle a smile. It looked like Isaac liked little Aurora, but he also liked his friends. Boys were a troublesome breed.

"Do you think Isaac is nice?"

"Oh yes! For my birthday he gave me a teddy bear. But when my brother came into the room, he didn't talk to me. I didn't like that."

Jewel nodded. Isaac liked Aurora and it sounded like Aurora liked him back. It was a shame boys didn't include girls in their play. Aurora with her speed and unparalleled strength would be a great addition to their games. She smiled at the thought.

"I'm sure he will realize he likes playing with you and then he won't ignore you anymore."

"I hope so." A forlorn expression came over Aurora.

"Jewel?"

Aurora and her both looked up, the former letting out a small gasp as a dapper looking Vincent stood above them. He had a red pocket square in his black suit jacket and his hair was styled back, an almost wet sheen to the onyx locks.

"Hello, who might you be?"

Vincent gave Aurora a bright smile and crouched down before her. She watched as the young girl's lips formed the shape of her name. When no sound escaped her lips, Jewel turned a knowing smile toward the young girl. It appeared that Vincent Blood had that effect on women of all ages.

"This is Aurora. She is very strong and is keeping me company because boys a meanies." She said using the word Aurora had used to describe Isaac. Hearing this, the cross look Aurora wore moments ago returned.

An eyebrow rose on Vincent's face and he looked between her and Aurora. She smiled and Vincent quickly picked up on her game.

"That is unfortunate. I was coming here to ask if you ladies would care to dance with me? If you think all boys are meanies, you wouldn't want to dance with me, right Aurora?"

Aurora looked at Vincent and seeing the dilemma this put her in, her cross expression soon changed to one of worry. If she said no, she would not be able to dance with Vincent, but if she said yes, then she would be going against her own philosophy that boys were meanies.

"I'm sure Vincent will be nice. I can come with you, and if he is mean, you can protect me. How does that sound, dear?"

Relief shone on her face and adjusting her grip, Jewel stood with Aurora in her arms. Vincent soon followed beside her, his hand coming to rest on her back. The dress she wore had a sheer lace back and she could feel the heat from Vincent's hand through the thin fabric. Coming to where couples were dancing, Vincent took Aurora from her and, balancing the child on his arm, he brought his other to rest on her waist. Together the three of them began to sway and Aurora reached a hand toward her. Stepping closer, she took her small hand and smiled in response to her innocent grin. Vincent tightened his hold on her until she was pressed against his side, Aurora cocooned between them. Joy shone in the girl's face and her heart filled with happiness.