But then he said, "Well that looks boring. Is that really what I gave you?" he asked.

"Um...yes." You furrowed your eyebrows together. Excuse me?

"Yes sir, Captain," he corrected you.

So um, yeah, you had to say the whole thing every time; it was not optional. "Y-Yes sir, Captain," you rephrased, restraining your sigh.

"Hmm." He walked back in and continued fishing around his wardrobe, until he threw you a red vest, then searched through a little jeweled box on one of his wooden boxes and pulled out two big, heavy, expensive golden hoop earrings which matched the smaller earring in the Captain's right ear.

You put on the vest, and he handed you the earrings, which you tried to get on. But you, though you'd never admit, had never actually put your jewelry on yourself. You didn't know how to put on an earring very quickly, much less without a mirror.

The Captain simply took them impatiently from your trembling hands and put them, gently, carefully, on you himself. It didn't hurt. He actually had a very gentle touch, despite how harshly he'd grabbed you on your earliest occasions.

He stepped back. "Better," he said, shrugging, as if you really could've done better. "Now put your hair back. I suggest a braid. It's hard to work with your hair falling in your face."

By the look on your face, he could tell you didn't know how to braid hair. Don't feel bad, it wasn't your fault Princesses were never taught anything. "Well I'm not doing anything else for you," the Captain grumbled. "I hope you prove more experienced with other tasks."

You bit your lip. I highly doubt that.

"Just tie it back until you can do something with it. You've got work to do. I'll teach you to braid later if needed," he said, "But really, braiding is a very basic task..."

"Sorry, sir...Captain." You weren't quite sure what to say.

He didn't get hung up on it. "Nothing to be sorry for, now put your hair back."

"Yes sir, Captain," you said in a small voice. He handed you a ribbon, and you tied it as best you could into a loose low ponytail. 

"Now go out on the deck."

You did.

He pointed to a bucket of water with a scrub brush in it sitting near the mast. "Alright; scrub this deck until it shines."

It took a second to process. You took a deep breath. This is a really, really big deck...

"I said scrub this deck until it shines," he repeated.

Damn it. "Yes sir...Captain," you replied quickly. That seemed to be something you were going to be saying a lot.

"So get on your knees and scrub this deck."

You slowly got down on your knees, and reached inside the bucket of water, and pulled out the splintered bristle brush. Well, never gotten on my knees to pick anything up myself before... You examined the brush in your hand with delicate curiosity. So this is what the maids use to clean the floors?

All of the pirates stopped to watch you, it was so obvious you had no clue what you were doing, awkwardly staring at the objects with no idea where to start

"Get to work," the Captain snapped, and you swallowed, not sure where to start. So you set the brush on the deck and slid it back and forth, ever so gently, across the deck, trying not to bend the bristles, in fear they might break.

"You have no idea how to do this, do you?" He sighed. 

You shook your head slowly. Yeah, no... It was embarrassing, honestly...you felt useless.

"Well for one thing, it works better when you've got more water on it, and second, you need to push harder when you scrub. Use two hands if you have to."

You gingerly set both of your dainty hands on the brush and started to scrub it a bit harder.

"Better," he said flatly, unimpressed. "Now you had better start working fast, because you're not stopping until you're done with this deck level, and if I find you sleeping on the job, you'll wake up in the ocean, got it?"

Oh wow... No sleeping tonight then... "Yes sir, Captain," you said quietly, with a gulp.

"What was that?"

"Yes sir, Captain," you repeated a little louder.

"Speak up!" He kicked you; well, lightly, barely even a touch...but right then and there. He...at least nudged you with his foot. To you it may as well have been a kick...

The pirates watching looked stunned, as you, startled like a cat, fell on your bucket of water like a total clutz. It spilled everywhere.

"Yes sir...!" you said louder, and sniffed. "Captain." The first words nearly yelling, the last word barely louder than a breath of air, nearly crying, back on the verge of tears. You hadn't meant to make a scene, but...there you were.

The Captain raised an eyebrow, and gave you a nod. "Hmm... Better get going," he responded. "Now back to work!" he barked at the rest of the crew, turning and walking off. "You there. Refill her bucket whenever she runs out of water."

The pirate he'd singled out said, "Yes sir, Cap'n!" and took your bucket to go refill it already.

The Captain turned and walked off without another word, and didn't speak to you anymore. He just bustled about with his crew, ignoring you. It was then you went hungry for the first day in your life, and worked long and hard for the first day in your life, getting several blisters and callouses on your sore, once-flawless hands. So much for those soft hands.

The stars looked magnificent, as they glittered down upon the last three shapes on the dim ship. The watchman, the seaman, and you.

You knew you were looking at the same stars you'd seen from home, but it didn't feel like it. Home was nowhere near this horrible, terrifying world.

You couldn't help but to fall asleep on the frozen deck long before sunrise, after being up most of the night.

You shivered fiercely in the cold, under a heavy water-tinged bone-chilling salty breeze with no barriers to slow it down. 

You had nightmares that you woke up on the deck, naked, surrounded by pirates staring at you and a pirate captain yelling at you and telling you to get back to work, and you tried to tell them to stop...but whenever you went to speak, the only thing you remembered how to say was 'Yes sir, Captain.'

In the morning, when you woke up at the first rays of dawn hitting your eyelids and the disruptive clamor of waking pirates, instead of in the ocean...you found yourself under a warm blanket with a third of the deck already scrubbed for you.