Chapter 6

We're on the video shoot. It's complete chaos but I go through the general idea with the director as the others get ready after breakfast. It's for my song Devotion (originally by Ellie Goulding) and the sort of thing we wanted to create is the markings being in love leaves you. So we're using paint. There's four pairs of us, Shawn and me made the decision to not include him in case things go wrong in the future, and we're covering our hands in paint and pretending we're together. The girls are wearing white dresses and the guys, black jeans and a white t-shirt. The majority of the video will feature me with Corey but we're using the others too to add something. I don't actually know what.
We all get changed and get makeup and hair done when we see about fifty buckets of paint laid out in front of us.
"The idea for this video is that you will show what imprints love can make on you. You will basically be covering your partner in paint," The director says and we all nod splitting into the four pairs and heading to our sectioned off area so we can all shoot at once.
Me and Cor start, sitting by the waters edge, with the palm of his hand covered in paint, he takes my hand and pulls me to stand. Then I have to do an individual shot of me lying on the sand where I have my hand cleaned and recoated in paint. We hear helicopters ting over, "Guys! Cover yourselves!" The crew shouts, throwing blankets and towels at us and we curl up underneath them for a solid hour, thank god for mobile data, as soon as they've left the process goes on and we get to the point where there's paint in my hair, paint on each other's faces. It's basically every possible place on our bodies. "And now you are gonna kiss," The director who was monitoring our area shouts. I feel my stomach tie in knots as Corey places a hand on my arm.
"We can do this A, we're gonna get this over with and then we can chill, go in the sea with Sarah and Brad." He pep talks me and I nod looking out into the ocean.
Shawn's POV:
I enter the beach to come watch the shoot and am directed to where A and Corey were shooting. I feel something pang in my heart when I see them. I'd seen plans of this scene, I knew it was happening but couldn't help but feel angry and infuriated at the idea of A kissing someone. The kiss lingers on so I turn away, I look over my shoulder to see him cupping her face and holding her waist and feel my heart drop. I know it's acting, I know I'm acting dumb but my heart aches as they continue the affection. I turn away again then hear panting behind me, I turn my head round but swiftly move it to the previous position.
"Shawn!"
"Hey, I was just going, so you can uh finish your shoot," I walk off and see A's bottom lip tremble as T rushes over.
Arri's POV:
I feel my body weaken under his language as my bottom lip begins to tremble as I attempt to bite it down.
"Arri!" T engulfs me in a hug as my tears hit her shoulder, both paint splattered and exhausted we embrace.
"He's angry," My voice barely reaches an audible volume but T listens and pulls away and holds my hands.
"A, he'll come around. I promise, he's just annoyed that, for the sake of your job, you had to be affectionate to Cor. I know how both of you feel, now I can see 6 people about to run in the sea fully clothed. Coming?"
"I can't say no to that really," I sigh wiping under my eyes and grabbing T's arm. We run straight into the water, shocking the others who join us almost immediately. We splash around for ages until they get a small section of the video edited. We all watch it and cheer at how amazing it looks, everyone congratulating me. I smile and get excited with them, as we wrap towels tightly round our shoulders.
Shawn's POV:
What the hell have I done this time? I pace our room and search for reasons that float aimlessly around my head.
You are jealous.
You want to punch him in the face for handling your girlfriend in that way.
You generally don't like people checking out your girlfriend.
I slide that out of the way.
What have I bloody done?
With that I'm out and running down to the beach, the steps were oddly wet when I feel my footing go as I reach the halfway point down them. My body goes with my foot and my world turns black.
Arri's POV:
I hear a thud behind me and turn round. My mouth gapes open and I run over.
"Shawn!" I cup his face in my hands as I kneel down next to his body that appeared to be by responding. "Shawn, please tell me you're going to wake up," I move one of my hands to his chest and I feel his heart, only slightly but it was there. I can feel tears streaming down my face as I stare down on him. I don't notice the ring of people suddenly surrounding us when I set my lips on his, not feeling him kiss back.
"Arri, do you think we should call an ambulance?" Laura asks and I turn to look at her.
"Please," I beg before turning back to Shawn. I see a few cuts in his head from the rocks and Brad passes me his shirt, which he'd taken off, to clean it up.
"Careful A," Connor warns and I nod, carefully wiping round the cuts emblazoned on his face.
"Guys let's leave these two be, we'll go grab some food. We'll get some bits for you too," T says and smiles weakly at me.
"I love you Shawn, I feel like I never tell you that enough. I promise and I swear to god if you wake up I won't ever leave you. You have no idea how much you mean to me, how much I love it when you call me weird names, how much I love the way you hold me, how you let me cry and tell you anything, how you find things I do funny. I love you Shawn, I hope you know that." I press a kiss on his cheek. The rest of the process goes by in a flash as we go to the nearest hospital. I cry, a lot, until a doctor calls my name.
"Mr Shawn Mendes is in a coma," My mind clouds as I see history repeating itself to three years ago when I fell into coma. My eyes prickle with tears that I hold back, "He could be in it for a week to two weeks. It's lucky there are American doctors working here,"
"He's Canadian," I spit out and the doctor nods and walks off. I enter the room where I see his body lay. I feel sharp tears drop down my face as I clutch his hand tightly.
"Shawn, please come back. Please, please, I know I was wrong kissing Corey and I know I was wrong being so affectionate to him. I'm so sorry."
"Baby girl," I see Mom come on behind me.
"I'm sorry we ruined your holiday,"
"No baby, we've spoken to Shawn's family. They're travelling over now, they'll be here tomorrow. I'm here, it's okay," Mom hugs me and kisses my forehead as I cry.
Time moves on and Mom has to literally drag me out the hospital, we meet Ed and my sisters for dinner then I head back to our- my room alone.
"A," I see Mom poke her head round the door. "Do you want me to stay honey?" I nod and she walks in and changes into her pyjamas as I do the same. She lies next to me in bed her fingers running through my hair that had formed waves after being in the sea. She begins to sing Love Story to me as I cry into her chest, angry and alone all at the same time.