Adventures in Christmas Shopping

Furiously flipping through T-shirt racks at a local Wal-Mart, Parker found her irritation rising steadily. With every rack she searched, no results matched what she was looking for. At last, a huff exited her lips. "How dare they not sell a Green Arrow shirt?"

"He was a vigilante," said Iris, flipping through racks herself.

Parker's moving hands fell still. "Unfortunately, that is a valid point."

"Hey, Park," said Iris suddenly. In a whisper, she asked, "Do you know who the Arrow is?"

"Of course I know. Am I going to tell you? Absolutely not."

Iris sighed. "Thought so."

Parker sauntered throughout the men's clothing section, hoping an item would catch her eye. Stuck in an intent focus, she didn't notice the incoming teenager and bumped into him. "Oh, my bad.." she started to apologize. "Isaac?"

"Parker," smiled the boy. "Funny how we always find each other right before the holidays."

"It's probably fate," she said.

"You're still looking gorgeous," complimented Isaac, eyes running over her body.

Parker snapped her fingers by her eyes. "Watch those eyes, kid. I'm practically engaged."

Isaac's hand clutched his chest. "I thought our chemistry was very real up on that Jitters stage. I saw something there."

"Do you not remember when I caught you in Starling coming out of a women's bathroom stall?" asked Parker.

Isaac shrugged. "You can't tell me you didn't try bathroom sex at least once in your college years."

"I didn't," said Parker. "I drank alone in the safety of my dorm."

"That's.. No fun," said Isaac. His brow furrowed, genuinely confused over her tactics.

"It is much safer for my health," she said. "Remind me how many STD's you have now?"

Isaac patted his chest proudly. "Still kickin' it STD free. So, what are you doing here?"

"Gift shopping," said Parker in an obvious tone. "Surprisingly hard to do around this time of year."

"Christmas is in two days," said Isaac, matching her tone. "Here's a piece of advice: fruit baskets. That's what I do for my whole family. Well, excluding my sister."

"What does she get?" asked Parker. From his basket, Isaac withdrew an action figure box. A deep gasp filled her lungs. "Where? Where did you find it?"

"In toys. There's only a few left--"

"I have to get them!" said Parker. She threw a peace sign in Isaac's direction and proceeded to hurriedly limp through the clothing racks back to Iris. She jumped on her back. "Get me to toys now, bitch!"

Iris obeyed. Following Parker's direction, they ended in an aisle filled with scattered action figures. Dodging a dozen confused mother's staring at the shelves, Parker and Iris searched for figures of the Flash. Two were found on the floor by Iris. At the same time Parker reached for the last one on the rack, a middle aged woman did as well. Their eyes met. Neither backed down.

"Parker," warned Iris.

"Irene," warned the woman's friend.

"I'll be needing this," said Parker.

"Not so fast," said the woman, throwing her arm out to block Parker's path.

Iris' mouth fell open in anticipation. Parker, however, was not afraid of the woman. Middle aged mother's didn't scare her. Why, in the winter of '09, she had a throwdown with one on Black Friday for a deluxe pack of oven mitts.