That Day (the fall of Shiganshina, Part 2)

"You bastard!" Eren screamed, he hit the back of Hannis's head with his elbow, " You son of a bitch! We could have saved her! We almost had her out!"

I stopped. Eren was taking his anger out on Hannis. He should be hitting me, screaming at me. I shouldn't even be here. It wasn't like I was a part of their family. I was an intruder.

A stranger at a funeral, who was laughing at the mourners.

"Dammit! Stop!" Hannis finally snapped, pulling Eren from his shoulder and throwing him to the ground.

"Eren!" Mikasa exclaimed, she pulled away from Hannis and rushed to Eren.

"Look." Hannis's face was a mask of guilt, "there was nothing you could have done for her, understand? Your a kid, your weak."

Eren snarled and threw a punch at him, he grabbed his fist before he could hit him. But didn't retaliate. "I'm worse." He continued, "when push came to shove I was too frightened to hold my ground ... Your mother died because I'm a damn coward!"

He wasn't the only coward. But ... I could never apologise. They could never know ...

All four of them were crying now. But I moved ahead while they stood up, I couldn't be there, it was wrong for me to be there ...

I didn't stop running. Not even when the stitch in my side made me cry even more than I already was, not even when I fell, time and time again, over stones, and the debris of houses or worse ... Bodies.

I ran through the only gate out of Shiganshina, along with floods of terrified people. I ducked and pushed and ran through the panicking mass, to the two ferries waiting by the river.

I hastily pushed through the rapidly growing line and sat in one ferry, I closed my eyes and tried not to picture Mrs Yeager's lifeless body ... The grin of the Titan ...

"Kira!"

I turned and looked, slightly unfocused at the figure who'd spoken. It was a few seconds before I realised it was Armin.

"Kira, where's Eren and Mikasa?" Armin asked, worried, "are they - ?"

" - they're fine, Hannis is helping them board," I said. I wouldn't mention Mrs Yeager. Eren would tell Armin when he was ready, "and I am too, thanks for asking."

The humor felt good. It took my mind off the worry.

"Heh, sorry." Armin rubbed the back of his head with his hand.

They were silent, but soon Armin stood up and began looking for the two.

"There they are!" He exclaimed. I looked up. There was Mikasa ... And Eren. Eren... He wore that look ... The one the Scouts wore. I wondered if I did too.

***

We all sat together, the four of us. Not looking at each other. People were muttering around us.

"Oh god, no."

"Please, this is a dream, please."

"God help us all."

Suddenly there was an outcry as the wooden bridge lifted up. People screamed and tried to push past.

"Don't leave us!"

"There's still room!"

"At least let our children on board!"

That last one made another tear fall. I wondered if I had any moisture left in my body.

The boat pushed off, and a few people jumped, trying to land on the boat. None succeeded.

Cannon fire roared from Shiganshina.