Chapter 16

"I beg, just give it back," seven-year-old Kalai begged as she reached for the dankerball.

One of the lads in her class threw the ball to one of his other four friends. "You best be quick then, Mastra."

Kalai hopped up so she could grab the ball, but another Little One shoved her from behind, knocking her to the ground. Her eyes watered as the crowd laughed.

"Here, Master," the lad that caught the ball said, tossing it to another friend.

The five Little Ones sung and danced around Kalai as she sat and watched. Day after day, it was the same thing, just because she was the tiniest and the last one in class who learned how to control her being. She hated school because of it. There was never an end, much to her surprise. She thought that once she got control of her being, things would change, but from the looks of it, children's garden was going to be the worst place in the world for her, regardless.

"What nonsense do you brats think you are doing?" a voice behind them said.

The five Little Ones froze and turned around. Behind them stood a tall and lanky Young One, seventeen years old. Her form was solid, athletic, with powerful thighs that told of their ability to jump two stories high, and defined arms that epitomized all the work she did at the sparring grounds and in the fields. Her tentacles were a deep cobalt blue from the base down. She crossed her arms, their color as vibrant as fresh grass, having gotten a perfect tan in the suns. Her full lips were jungle green, known for producing a sound that even made the silas stop and succumb to it in awe. And her eyes, piercing as ever, were still brighter than a full moon.

While Aly's beauty put other mastras to shame, however, she didn't even know it did. Years of being harassed and belittled blinded her to whatever physical qualities others saw as clear as day. She thought the young lads her age were still being nice to her out of pity's sake, and the mastras didn't bother looking her in the face because she was definitely too tall for their liking. Regardless, it didn't matter anymore. At least she was of some use to others. At least she could tell little ingrates to "piss off."

"Can you lot not speak up?" Aly asked as she glared at every Little One. "Perhaps it is because someone has found you in the wrong, yes? Have you no shame?"

The five Little Ones backed up, one by one.

"W-we have no reason to be scared of you, Aly the Weird," one of the lads said, still backing away.

"Truly? Then perhaps I should tell your mammais and pappais of the insult you bear on their names when I am to see them in the fields this evening, yes? I wonder, how long would they keep you from my pappai's bakery, then? Truly, that be a travesty indeed."

Aly took one step forward and grinned when the five took two steps back.

"Boo."

The Little Ones scattered, leaving Kalai and the dankerball. Aly picked the light blue sphere up, and knelt beside the mastra. When she offered the ball to Kalai, the Little One grabbed it, and kept her head down.

"My thanks, Aly," the Little One whispered.

"Hey." Aly lifted the Little One's chin up. "There be nothing of interest on the gravel. Truly, you cannot see the stars if you are to always look down, yes? Do not let them see you despair."

As Aly helped the Little One up, she saw Teacher about to come over. He paused, smiled at her, and spun around to check on the rest of the class.

The Young One rubbed Kalai on the head. "Fret not. Truly, it shall get better."