Chapter Twelve - Explanation

Alex’s POV

“So he’s okay?” I looked up at the doctor in tears of joy. “Yes. He has a few minor burns on his arms, but that’s about it. He just needs to stay in for a bit longer to get some more oxygen into his lungs.” I turned to my mum and leapt into her arms. “I told you he’d be okay darling.”

“Thank you mum,” I murmured through happy tears. I turned back round to the doctor. “Can I go in and see him?”

“He’s still coming round slightly but yes you may.” I jumped up and walked into the room where Jack was laying, half awake, with an oxygen mask around his head. I stood at his side and put my hand down gently on his arm. “Hey Jack, it’s me Alex.” His eyes opened slowly and looked over to me. A smile formed upon his lips, but then he looked around the room and then at the doctor who was standing behind me. “Alex where am I?”
“You’re in hospital Jack.” His eyes enlarged. “What! Why am I in hospital?” The doctor tapped me on the shoulder. “That is something I need to discuss with you actually and it’s the right timing too because the cops have just turned up outside.”

“Alex I’m scared, what’s happened? Why do I have to talk to the cops?!”

“Let me talk to the doctor first Jack. I’ll only be a minute.” I followed the doctor outside of the room while my mum stayed with Jack.

Jack’s POV

“Mrs Gaskarth, do you know what happened?” She looked over to me, grabbing my hand and squeezing it lightly. “I don’t know what happened but all I can say is that Alex is speaking to the doctor outside first and then he’ll explain it all to you.” She gave me a weak smile and I looked away to the window where I could see Alex talking away to the doctor. He always seemed perfect and adorable looking, with his hair swept to the side and his round shiny nose. “You love him don’t you?” I turned to Alex’s mum in a shocked state. “I beg your pardon?”

“The way you look at him really isn’t how friends look at one another Jack. I’ve seen it and I’ve felt it before in my past time.” I sighed, fidgeting with my hospital robe. “I know he loves you.” My head shot up to face her and I took off my oxygen mask. “He told me when they were wheeling you into the ambulance. He was so worried I think he started spluttering things that were going around in his head.”

“But he can’t love me… He can’t.”

“Well he does. Maybe once he’s explained what has happened you can ask him, okay?” I nodded, placing my oxygen mask back on. A long silence broke the conversation. I continued to fidget with my hospital robe. “I do love him Mrs Gaskarth.” I looked into her eyes and saw a smile radiate from her face. “I knew it all along.” As I was about to continue the conversation, Alex and the doctor returned to the room. “Jack, me and Mrs Gaskarth are going to wait outside and talk to the cops and while this happens Alex is going to explain everything that happened that you can’t remember okay?” I nodded and looked over at Alex who was giving me a weak smile. There was something going round in his mind. I could see it in that smile of his. His smile is normally bigger than the one that is currently on his face. “Oh and you may take that oxygen mask off now if you feel awake.” The doctor and Alex’s mum left the room, leaving Alex standing beside my hospital bed looking at me with a worried smile. He sat down on the end of the bed and crossed his legs, looking straight at me. I did the same. “So, what happened then?”

“What can you remember? Can you remember being dragged away by your dad?” I shivered at the thought of that moment. “Yeah, I remember that and you were running after me but then my dad pulled out a gun and threatened to shoot you. I don’t even want to think about that anymore.”