Sing For Me

"Come on, Nathan! At least come with me!" I begged my boyfriend, practically hanging onto his arm and giving him my best puppy dog eyes. "Peyton is counting on us to be there, and Haley said she was going to sing! Don't you want to at least go and support your friends? You know, the ones who supported you when you got hurt and couldn't play basketball? The ones who have been behind us and our relationship from the beginning? We owe it to them," I tried the guilt-trip tactic, and it seemed to be working.

Nathan kissed my forehead, pulling me into him. "Okay, you're right. We should go support them. They're our best friends," he caved.

"I knew you'd come around! Now go change your shirt, and let's go see Peyton and Haley."

"But I'm NOT singing at this thing, okay?" he warned, raising his eyebrows in my direction.

"Alright, alright! I never said you had to!" I raised my hands in surrender, a smile creeping its way onto my lips as Nathan went to get dressed.

-----

"Hey! Peyton!" I called when I spotted her curly blond head from across the club. She turned and smiled, waving Nathan and I over to where she was standing with Haley and Brooke.

"Hey guys! You ready to do some fundraising for Peyton's benefit album?" Haley asked, hugging us both when we reached them.

"Oh, absolutely!" I replied, already listening to the band that was currently performing. Nathan and I sat down at a table with the girls, Lucas joining us shortly after.

"Alright guys, that's my cue," Haley sighed, sliding her chair back.

The group replied with a chorus of "Good luck!" and "You'll be great!" She smiled and thanked us before disappearing backstage. I smiled after Haley's retreating image.

"You know, you could go sing too," Nathan whispered, wrapping his arm around my shoulder from the chair beside me.

I smiled and weaved my fingers with his. "Nah, that's okay. This is Haley's thing; I wouldn't want to take it away from her. Besides, I can't follow her. She's amazing."

"And if she heard you say that, she would probably punch you," Nathan laughed. "She would never feel like you were stepping on her toes or anything. She's totally cool."

"Yeah, you're probably right. But either way, it's a little late for that. No big deal," I brushed it off, squeezing his hand and moving my chair closer to Nathan's.

He pulled out his phone while I turned my attention to the local band that was about to perform. As soon as they were done with their set, Payton climbed up onto the stage and the crowd quieted.

"Alright, hey guys! How is everyone doing tonight?" The crowd cheered. "Awesome. Well we have a real treat for you guys tonight. Up next, performing her hit single 'Halo,' please welcome to the stage... Haley James!"

Haley walked out onto the stage and took her place in front of the microphone.

"Hey guys! Are you all ready to jam with me?" The crowd cheered again. Haley laughed. "I thought you might say that. But even though it's originally a solo, I'm hoping one of my very best friends would join me on stage to sing it with me. Katie, you wanna come up here?"

My eyes went wide with surprise and excitement, and I looked over at Nathan, who was smirking. "I may or may not have texted Haley backstage," he admitted. "Now go sing! Bring the house down like I know you can."

I was so excited that I pecked him on the cheek and practically ran to the stage, taking the steps up to the stage two at a time. I bounded over to Haley, giving her a hug. The crowd clapped, and a stagehand brought me another microphone. I scanned the crowd and caught Nathan's eye, my lips stretching into an even wider grin.

I leaned over and whispered to Haley, "So how exactly are we...?"

"Just follow my lead. You know this song as well as I do, you'll be fine. Just sing it like you would sing a duet." She nodded at the band and they played the beginning chord of "Halo."

Haley began, "I never promised you a ray of light. I never promised there'd be sunshine every day."

I took over, looking at Haley before turning my gaze to where Nathan was sitting. "I'll give you everything I have. The good, the bad..."

Haley and I continued singing together, alternating lines and laughing as we danced about the stage, forgetting about the crowd and just having fun with each other and with the music.

The band played the final chords of the song, and as soon as we finished, the crowd was on their feet, cheering and whistling. I found our table of friends, and Nathan was just standing there, applauding and smiling.

"Sorry guys, I have to do something really quick," I said into the mic. I jumped down off the front of the stage, parting the crowd as I made my way back to our friends' table. When I finally reached him, I threw my arms around Nathan's neck and kissed him for the whole crowd to see. I heard a chorus of "Oooh"s and "Yeah"s and a lot of applause, and I couldn't help but smile into the kiss. I felt him smile too, and I pulled away to wave at the crowd of people. Nathan flashed Haley a thumbs-up, and she returned it before re-capturing the attention of the crowd with her next song.

"Thank you," I whispered to Nathan, wrapping my arm around his midsection and pulling him close.

He kissed the top of my head. "Anything for my girl. I told you I wasn't going to sing, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't."

"You know, someday I'll get you to sing for me, Nathan Scott."

He chuckled. "Keep dreaming, baby girl."