Not surprisingly, more than half of the kids leave within the next fifteen minutes.  A few of the senior boys linger, laughing obnoxiously with Elliot, which I notice makes Ms. Parker's face twitch, as though their happiness is causing her physical pain.  Eventually, those boys and the remaining sophomore girls leave for a 'raging party' downtown.  Pretty soon, our numbers have dwindled to five, not including Ms. Parker, who is still standing guard at the kitchen corner.  By now, I have decided that's she's watching us to make sure we don't spill our lemonade on her freshly polished floors.

            Elliot is talking to the remaining freshman.  He's a twiggy, nervous thing, and in a way, I figure he's probably the male version of me.  Anyway, I guess he's waiting for his dad to pick him up, and the nervousness of talking to a team captain is apparent on his pale face.

            "So, shouldn't you be heading home Finn?" asks Cassi, a false tone of casualty ringing in her voice.  "I'm going to say over at Jenna's, remember?  You don't have to wait for me."

            This is the moment I have been dreading ever since Elliot and I set up our first 'date'.  I have no idea what I'm supposed to say to Cassi.  There isn't really a valid excuse for me to stay, unless I want to pull the lame card of helping Ms. Parker clean up, and there's no way in hell she's going to back me up. 

            Instead of answering, I just awkwardly shift my stance.  I know what you're thinking.  I really should have figured out what to say, long before this moment came along.  And of course, at this point, I have realized that I should have.  But I didn't, and now I'm just standing like a gaping idiot.

            "Oh, I told her I'd help her with science." 

            I jump slightly, not realizing that Elliot had snuck up behind me at some point in our conversation.  I glance backward, and Elliot looks down at me to flash a bright smile.

            "Finn?" asks Cassi, her face morphing into a look of utter shock and betrayal, as though I just stabbed her in the heart.  She quickly regains her composure and tilts her chin toward the ceiling.  "You didn't say anything about that."

            "I just asked him a little bit ago."  I hope she doesn't call by bluff, especially since Elliot and I haven't spoken a word to each other tonight.  "We have a test in a few days."

            Cassi presses her lips together.  My heart races and I feel like there is no way she's going to believe me.  But why wouldn't she?  I'm Finn, her loyal sister who never does anything she shouldn't.

            "Oh."  Cassi glances at Jenna, exchanging an expression too fast for me to evaluate it.  Then she offers a plastic smile.  "We can stay and help.  We don't mind, do we Jen?"

            Jenna bites down on her bottom lip and peaks at the front screen of her phone.  "I promised my mom we'd be home by seven-thirty to let the dog out."

            Cassi opens her mouth, as though to protest, but then clamps it shut.  "Fine.  I'll see you guys later."

            Jenna practically tows an unwilling Cassi to the front door, and not long after, the fidgeting boy's dad shows up to take him home.  And then there were three.

            "Thanks for dinner, Ms. Parker," I say, turning to awkwardly smile at her. 

            Her blue eyes narrow into slits, but she manages to smile.  "Of course.  Drive safe."

            "Oh, um..."  I bite down on my lip, not sure what to say.  Ms. Parker is only a yard away, which means I'm certain she overheard our 'studying' conversation.