Loggrapes Suggestion Part 2

"Hide... Are you going to kill me?"

Neither of them moved, both were frozen in that space, their hearts pounding with fear, but there had to be a line somewhere, something they could cross so they wouldn't have to do this.

"Are you afraid?" Hide asked, wide eyed and desperately trying to control his breathing. The blood from Kaneki's fingers dripped down Hide's face when he made contact with his skin.

Kaneki hesitated before replying, "no."

"Why did you keep lying to me all this time?" Hide dared to scrunch his eyebrows and Kaneki averted his gaze.

"Maybe... it would be for the best... If you killed me, but..." He brought his gaze back and did not show any other emotion than that of despair and blankness. "... I don't think you could.."

"You're not answering my question." Hide held a straight and serious face.

Kaneki wiped his face with the back of his hand in an attempt to remove the blood, but the motion only smeared it further. A pained look was painted on his face.

"Of course not, I don't want to kill you Kaneki..." Hide sighed accepting that he probably would never really answer his question.

"No, I mean that... Even if you tried... My body.. I've tried it before... It won't let me die easily," there was still bitter tension in the air, but the two spoke much more familiarly than before.

"Everything dies... Eventually..." Hide's finger twitched as he held his Quinque; Kaneki noticed it immediately and prepared himself for any sudden movements. They made eye contact once more. "You're a ghoul Kaneki... Even if I don't kill you someone else could." Hide finally made the first move and stepped closer to Kaneki so they were half an arm's length apart. "I really don't want that to happen."

Kaneki wanted to move back, but he wanted to move in closer, no... Hide didn't think of him in any other way than as a friend, and now, a dangerous ghoul. He felt his hunger from deep inside, but pushed it back, hung his head, and backed away.

"Wait!" Hide stepped closer reaching his hand out.

"Hide, no more, I... I can't, I'm sorry." Kaneki swiftly turned and left Hide in a room soaked in blood and a fresh carcass.

Hide dropped his Quinque and silently screamed at himself. Why wasn't he running for him? Why wasn't he screaming his name and crying out for him to come back? He was so angry that his feet wouldn't move, that his legs were like lead and he couldn't run. He fell to his knees and cried as he watched Kaneki leave without looking back even once. "I won't leave you like this..." he whispered through his tears to the bloodstained ground.
______________________________________________________

"There have been eyewitness reports of the Centipede active on the streets of Tokyo, please, stay inside, lock your doors, and stay off the streets as often as possible." TVs all aired the same newscast, warning the people of Tokyo to stay indoors, that there was a terrible threat to their lives outside. They were true, but for one case, the Centipede was being hunted....

Hide stooped down to a tattered carcass lying in the snow, it was the tenth he had examined that month and none of them had any of the results he was looking for. Either his prey was very good at hiding or he was in plain sight and he was just too blind to see him. He sighed, exhausted at the failure in his search, "Kaneki...." He looked around him at the blank and bloody snow around him, the lower sanctions of the CCG and the police would be there soon; they would find his footprints but all of them already figured out what he was doing. The fact that he was hunting was no question to most of the police force in Tokyo.