Wentworth's Baron - Chapter Five - "A Capital Idea"

CHAPTER FIVE

“A Capital Idea”

            Henrietta was far from her usual high-spirited self this morning.  She rose this morning with the desire for a long ride on the grounds.  She had cried most of the night at the thought of marrying this man her father arranged for her.  She cried to the point of numbness. 

            This morning when she awoke she felt as though there were no tears left, no fight left, she needed to feel free again and she knew the only way she could do this was atop her favorite mare.

            Henrietta has rode Vanora from the day her father brought her home from Tattersall’s in London.  Vanora was completely white with a touch of grey above her hooves with a grey tail and mane. 

            Vanora and Henrietta flew across the parklands from the moment they reached the edge of the vast field that went on for miles.  The release that Henrietta felt when breaking out to a canter was just that.  She was ‘breaking out.’  She imagined going far out across the countryside and not looking back.  She felt free and alive.  No one would pressure her into doing something she didn’t want to do. 

            The more she rode, the more she contemplated what she must do.  Was there a way for her to defy her father without bringing him shame?  No, she must honor her father's wishes but she did not have to make it easy.  He was forcing her into this and she was determined that they would know she was not happy about it.  She decided she would refuse to meet him.  “He wanted an arranged marriage -- fine.”

            “Alexander Durham Barrington or whatever his name is can just wait until the wedding day before meeting his bride-to-be.  Let’s see if he likes that.  Yes, that was it!”  She thought.  She must make this Viscount refuse to marry her.  That was her way out. 

            In this way, if he cries off, she will not be in defiance of her father and everyone knows that if a suitor cries off it is not nearly as devastating as if a female were to refuse her father’s wishes.  Instead, she would secure society’s sympathy.  Thus, it was in this frame of mind that she returned to Wentworth Hall with a renewed spirit and plans to make.  The first step would be to write to Victoria to join her in Bath.

            Arriving back home she immediately went to her father’s study to discuss with him the possibility of going to Bath.  Surely, her father would not deny his daughter’s request -- not after asking her to do something for which she clearly was not interested.  She would ask him to indulge her this one last time.

            Just as Henrietta thought, Lord Wentworth was quick to address his daughter’s request.  “What a capital idea!  I shall task my steward to procure a house for us in Bath and we shall leave as soon as we are able.  I certainly could do with a bit is sea air, hey my dear?”

            For Henrietta this could not have been a more favorable outcome for what better way would she have for getting herself into such a ‘predicament’ that would cause Mr. Barrington to cry off.  Yes, her plans were just beginning to unfold and they were off to a perfect start.  Next she went to her sitting room to get a letter off to Victoria that she might call on her upon her arrival in Bath. 

            Henrietta had just finished the letter and gave it to Hawthorne for posting when she was notified she had a visitor.  Baron Raby was waiting on her in the parlor.  Henrietta tidied her hair and straitened her muslin.  She thought of calling Becky, to help her change into something more becoming and thought better of it.  She preferred not to keep the Baron waiting. 

            She descended the staircase and tried to walk as casually as possible into the parlor even though her insides were shaking with anticipation at seeing him again, but to no avail.  Just as she was passing by the settee to acquire a seat opposite the Baron the heal of her slipper caught the lace of her petticoat and she toppled her way into the room gracefully planting herself face down at the Baron’s feet. 

            At almost the same time, Baron Raby, anticipating the event but not soon enough, immediately stood and attended to the task of helping her to her feet.  As he did not want to add to her embarrassment he tried somewhat successfully to contain the mirth that was bursting to come out.  As she lay sprawled out in front of him, it did not escape his notice the small dimple over her left shoulder.  How endearing he thought trying desperately to monitor the expressions of his face as he could not help but notice as she tactfully adjusted her fichu which was displaced during her plunge to the floor. 

            With the help of his hand, she arose to address the awkwardness of the situation.  With one glance into his sparkling eyes, she broke out laughing at the sight she imagined she presented as she entered the room.  To the Baron’s relief, he was able to join her in this infectious laugh as they made their way to sit down. 

            The Baron, who could not keep from thinking of her since meeting her in the parklands some few days ago wanted to call upon this lovely lady to take a ride with him in his carriage.  Henrietta so wanted to go but politely declined because, as she explained, she and her father would be leaving for Bath and there were many preparations that needed to be done before their departure. 

            Somewhat dismayed, the Baron decided at that moment to alter his own plans of remaining in Worcester on ‘business’ and asked if he may have the privilege of accompanying them to Bath to meet his party there as well.

            Henrietta was not at all disagreeable to this design and called for Hawthorne to advise her father to join them in the parlor to finalize their arrangements.

            Lord Wentworth thought this, too, was, “a capital idea” as he was not partial to long, boring road trips.  Having a gentleman to engage in meaningful conversation to pass the time suited him well as they would have much to discuss on the way to Bath. 

            Henrietta, however, thought differently of the situation.  She was intent on developing her plans for this bridegroom and was conniving a plan which included the only other man she felt comfortable enough with -- the Baron.