Wentworth's Baron - Chapter One - Lady Henrietta Wentworth

CHAPTER ONE

Lady Henrietta Maria Wentworth

            Lady Henrietta Wentworth, daughter of William Wentworth, the Earl of Stratford sat in the garden near her favorite patch of lavender which she helped her mother plant when she was a young girl.  She could hear the soft movement of the trees as they swayed in the afternoon air.  She felt as though it would rain soon and she was rarely wrong.  There was the faint smell of wet grass in the air and the sky was becoming silver out over the parklands that edged her father’s estate. 

            This was her favorite time of the day.  She so enjoyed the time when she could be free of her daily duties of caring for her father’s estate while he was away to London on business.  She enjoyed the smell of the air as the wind blew across her face.  She tugged at the chestnut colored ringlet clinging to her rosy cheek.  She decided a brisk walk across the gardens and into the adjoining parklands was a good idea.  It was always so invigorating right before it rained.

            She thought about what her life would be like had she chosen to accept one of the many offers she had received since her come out.  She received as many offers as any young lady could hope for but she could not bring herself to accept one.  If she should marry, she wanted to marry a man she loved and one that could respect her independence.  A man that did not mind that she had opinions and could match his riding skills on a hunt. 

            Since losing her mother when she was just a young girl, understandably she assumed the role as Lady of Wentworth Hall since her father had not remarried.  Her father, not having any other children, treated her both as his delicate daughter and the son he never had.  Henrietta could ride and hunt as well as any of her male counterparts.  She was well known in Worcester for her hoydenish ways and independent spirit.  She would race her father’s curricle down the long drive leading to Wentworth Hall barely missing the gatehouse whenever her father would allow her to handle the reigns.  She knew how to handle the horses well and it was more often than not that Lord Wentworth thought he may have indulged her a little too much. 

            It was hoped that a London season would help her to expand her prospects to those who did not know her.  To her father’s dismay, Henrietta was not able to contain the independence she had enjoyed all her life and the suitors who offered were of the set that was only interested in her 15,000 pounds. 

            Thus, Henrietta continued as she was, managing her father's estate content in the knowledge life would continue as it has always been.  In fact, she preferred her life now as opposed to marriage to a man she did not love and who did not love her. 

            She felt thankful that her father was not intent on requiring her to marry because it was her duty to make a good match.  He was not of the breed that was harsh in his ways.  Lord Wentworth was very mild in nature at least to his daughter Henrietta. 

            Henrietta continued her walk along the open meadow keenly aware of the impending rain careful to not go too far in case she misjudged how much time she had before it started. 

            While she enjoyed this ‘independence’ she imagined someone who could appreciate her independent spirit and wondered if there was such a man out there.  She dreamt as all females do, how their eyes would meet, there would be a moment of knowing silence shared between them as if they were communicating their thoughts, dreams and ambitions through unuttered words, with that one meaningful stare.  There would be no denying that they were meant to be together.  This man would offer to dance after a proper introduction, of course.  He would bow, never removing his eyes from her gaze.  They would engage in soft, comfortable conversation about more than idle gossip and the latest scandal.