Wentworth's Baron - Chapter Two - Alexander Durham Barrington

CHAPTER TWO

Alexander Durham Barrington

            Nicholas Barrington, The Earl of Warwick, was not to be swayed.  He had just returned from London on business and was just now engaging his son, Alexander Durham Barrington, on the subject that seemed predominate of late.  “You must marry a woman of good birth and fortune.  It is the way.  The Barringtons have always made a profitable match and you will not dishonor this family.”  He continued on unrelenting in this vein as the Viscount, future Earl of Warwick, sat and listened to the same discussion he has heard for the better part of his two and thirty years.  He understood what his father was telling him.  However, up to this point in his life he has been able to dissuade the inevitable. 

            “Well!  What have you to say to that?”  Lord Barrington’s voice seemed to resonate off the walls when he spoke.  Alexander, in a voice somewhat milder said, “Father, I should like to marry a woman who was not just interested in my purse strings.  Someone interested in more than the latest scandal.” 

            “Pah!”  the Earl barked.  “Your mother and I had an arranged marriage and we have managed fine.  While I’ll own she is quite enthralled with the latest what have you’s, and can be quite extravagant in her collection of trinkets, we have been quite happy.  You will have plenty of time to fall in love in the years to come and you would not be the first to take another under his protection if he was so inclined.” 

            The Earl, clearing his throat went on to say, “ – what I mean to say is...while I was not inclined to go that route because your mother was as fine a woman I could ask for, it is not unheard of for a man of quality to look elsewhere for his pleasures while fulfilling his duty to his family.”

            The Viscount, as was his title being the first born son of an Earl, stared at his parent with quizzical eyes while he continued to hear his father’s relentless supplications to this ghastly train of thought, he was busy making plans of his own.  He was not going to marry any female whom he did not love and was not sure of her own feelings toward him.  He strongly believed in a marriage of mutual equanimity, although he was not a fan of the bluestocking, he did hope to procure a wife with whom he could have a civil conversation with before being bored out of his mind.  He wanted conversation that was not limited to the latest fashion and society gossip.  While it was his duty to marry well he was determined to ‘marry well’ to a woman of substance not someone who would necessarily hang on his every word and be meddlesome to the point of irritation.  He did not want someone he would be bored with after the first few months of marriage. 

            While the Earl continued his remonstrations, Alexander, however, pondered the issue of how does one go about finding this person.

            To her son’s relief, Lady Anne Isabella Barrington, entered the parlor and rang the bell for tea.  “My love, just what is it that you go on about?  I can hear you all the way through the house.  Don’t you see our son is on about something else?  He will marry when it suits him and not before.  You must know by now he is descended from you, in any event, and you would not do what your heart told you not to, is that not so my love?” 

            The Earl looked at the Countess quite pointedly appearing as though contemplating his response to either censure her or acquiesce to the compliment.  Apparently, the latter was decided as my Lady daintily placed herself between the two men of her life. 

            Lady Barrington was from a great family and rightly so caught the eye of her beloved Earl.  Alexander viewed his parents with warm affection as they spoke quietly about their plans for the season.  Lady Barrington informed them that she recently had a letter from her friend Lady Sedley in Worcester who admonished them to join her and her family in taking in the waters at Bath.  The Earl was not opposed to such designs and so the Countess excused herself gracefully to go and write to Lady Sedley of their acceptance of her invitation.  Alexander, however, was not interested in the waters at Bath but had made arrangements to meet with some friends he has known since his years at Eton and so asked his parent to graciously decline on his behalf.

            “Oh, Alexander, you must join us!  Lady Sedley has not seen you in years and you know how well you and Lord Edmond got on.  Why you were the best of friends growing up.  Oh, the trouble you got into.  Don’t you remember that summer Edmond spent here at Toddington Manor while his parents visited the continent?  I declare I will never forget the time you and Edmond got into the washroom and got a hold of Grandmama's unmentionables and proceeded to remove the busk, gallivanting all over the house pretending to be the Duke of Cumberland at the Battle of Culloden.  Such swordplay went on until Grandmama recognized the whalebone and proceeded to scold you both profusely.”  Lady Barrington paused as she recalled the event with great amusement and went on to say, “you know, after you two were removed to the school room Grandmama and I enjoyed a hearty laugh over that event.  Oh, Alexander, you must join us for this happy reunion!  You must!  I would so enjoy the opportunity to see you and Edmond up to your old tricks again.” 

            It did not please Alexander to go against his mother’s wishes and it was true he would enjoy catching up with Edmond who had recently returned from the service and so asked that he may be permitted to join them for a few nights at Harlaxton House prior to their trip into Bath.  If it would please the family he would remain at Harlaxton after their departure and would be able to conduct his ‘business’ from there should he be permitted to trespass upon the family’s hospitality during their absence at Bath. 

            Lady Barrington was not entirely pleased with this offer but decided it would do and so retired to her sitting room to write to Lady Sedley of the requested arrangements leaving the men to their port.