Wentworth's Baron - Chapter Nine - Deception

CHAPTER NINE

Deception

            Breakfast at the Sedley house was not uneventful this morning.  Coincidentally, the guests and the family all had gathered for breakfast at the same time in the morning room and it was a bustle of conversation between the parties.

            Victoria took this opportunity to mention her desire to hold a masquerade ball.  Lady Sedley was not at all opposed to the idea and proffered the idea to the Marquess sitting at the head of the table. 

            After considering the possibility for a moment  he said “My dear, I prefer to leave the details of such entertainments to you.  If you wish such a ball to take place then by all means you may make such arrangements.”  Lord Barrington entertained the idea for a moment and then directing his attention to his wife said “you know, Lady Barrington, since we are already planning a ball at Toddington Manor.  Why not make it a masquerade ball.”

            Lady Barrington looked at her spouse with wide eyes of excitement.  “Why, my dear, I do think I should like a masquerade ball.  It could be so much fun!  Alexander, dear, what say you to such an event?  I’ve no doubt your bride-to-be will have no objection.  Ladies so love a masquerade.  You could plan to wear something to compliment each other and create an intrigue - oh, how romantic...”  Victoria was ecstatic at the thought and did not hesitate to mention that there was a travelling circus in the area that could be asked to entertain the guests. 

            Lady Barrington exclaimed her agreement “Oh, yes, and a balloon ascension!  There must be a balloon ascension!”  As plans for the event continued Alexander stood and excused himself from the party for a walk about the garden before leaving for business in the city.

            Victoria and the Baron joined him in the gardens.  He had not had occasion to see them much since arriving in Bath.  There was no mistaking the radiance that was apparent on their faces.  He thought about his own situation and the circumstances of his “arrangement.” 

            After walking along together in the garden and exchanging the niceties of polite society, it did not take long for them to separate themselves in the garden.  Alexander was not blind to the obvious affection on their faces.  These were two people who were clearly in love.  Alexander couldn’t help but feel a bit forlorn at his own predicament.  How was he going to bring things about. 

            He continued his walk about the grounds and made his way to the gate where he walked along toward the Abby Church Yard to the pump room.  Not being too far ahead Baron Raby caught up to him and appeared beside him and asked if he could join him on his outing to the baths.  Alexander welcomed the company and wondered at his leaving her so soon. 

            The baths were warm and inviting and one could think clearly while relaxing in the warm water.  Alexander and the Baron spoke of the latest news down at the track and briefly touched on the subject of Victoria.  The Baron’s eyes lit up whenever he spoke of her. 

            Alexander asked him if he had spoken with the Marquess about paying his addresses to which he answered he had not.  Alexander noted his hesitation and thought if he loved her what was holding him up.  The Baron did not leave him to wonder for long as he finally came out with what was currently occupying his days.

            “I love Victoria and would be the most happiest of men were she to accept an offer of marriage from me.  I just cannot muster the courage to approach the Marquess.  I have never had difficulty in this arena.  What I mean to say is I have never felt such a feeling of apprehension to approach someone ever!” 

            Alexander owned that he had not had the experience of apprehension in this way.  Truth be told he had never found a lady before where he was expected to speak with her father.  Now, as it is, he will never have to address that issue since his arrangements have already been made for him.

            “On the one hand” the Baron continued “I envy your situation.  I think I should much rather have it arranged for me.  Although, of course, I should like to be in agreement as to the lady.”

            “Well, there you have it.”  said Alexander.  “Make up your mind that you are going to approach him and think nothing except for your lovely lady and from that thought you will find the courage to make it through.”  Alexander had no doubt of the Marquess’ acceptance of the Baron’s offer for he knew that Lady Sedley would be in staunch agreement to such an arrangement and most definitely has communicated her inclinations in that regard.  So, Alexander continued to instruct the Baron as to how he should go about starting the conversation and to rest assured all would be well.

            After the Baths the gentlemen continued on their way about town to conduct their ‘business’ as it were for gentlemen of this station were blessed with the life of leisure.

            As to the ‘Baron Raby’ who traveled to town with Henrietta, he was busy doing some detective work of his own following up on his suspicions about Wendell. 

            He was on his way to the outskirts of Bath where the circus performers were camped out in between performances.  As he approached the field he thought about Henrietta and how he was going to come clean about his own deceptions.

            There was no doubt that this was going to get complicated now.  How could he avoid the embarrassment of having her find out from someone else?  How was he going to tell her now that he has agreed to help her ‘scandalize’ her fiance?  What seemed to be just a bit of fun was now about to culminate into something he feared he would regret.  How was he going to tell her?  Would she ever speak to him again?  He couldn’t bear the thought of losing any affection she may have for him.  He was sure she must have felt something during their ‘practice’ session.  He, himself, practically could not contain himself.  He decided he would tell her as soon as he returned from his ‘detective work.’

            In the meantime, he felt compelled to try and find out all he could about Wendell and where he came from.  As he walked toward the horses tent, he scanned the faces of those he came across looking for someone with the same brilliant green eyes in the hopes of finding a mother or father of Wendell.  As he entered the tent where the horses were he caught sight of Wendell talking to an older gentleman certainly not from the circus for he was dressed quite fashionably. 

            Wendell saw the Baron and waved him over.  The older gentleman turned and upon seeing the Baron immediately moved to the side as Wendell greeted him.

            “Hey, there, ain’t you the gent what was wif da lady yesterday?  You come as to see me fall on me arse agin?”  discerning the need to introduce the gentlemen, Wendell attempted this somewhat awkwardly turning his attention first to the older gentleman and saying to the Baron “this is me ‘doptive uncle.  Sir Lewis Rockingham.  E’s a banker who takes me money and ‘vests it.  I makes money on me money so ‘e says.  Say, maybe Sir Lewis could ‘vest your money...Sir...”  Then turning his attention to the Baron exclaimed “Sorry, Sir, I don’t recall as I knows yer name Sir for proper ‘troductions.” 

            ‘The Baron’ could not help but smile at Wendell’s attempt at a formal introduction and turning to Sir Lewis introduced himself “Alexander Durham Barrington, How do you do sir.”