Chapter 4

The sun streamed through the window and onto my face, the warmth waking me up from my deep sleep. Squinting, I opened my eyes to a middle-aged maid sweeping back the white curtains. It took a moment for me to notice that everything in the room was a pristine white: the comforter, the sheets, the pillows, the rug, and even the nightgown I wore.

"Good morning," the maid greeted. "How'd you sleep?"

"Great." I stretched my arms. I felt a weight on my chest and glanced down to find the teardrop stone around my neck—a pleasant reminder of the not-so-pleasant evening in the dungeons.

"Good," she said, opening the door. Another maid came in with a cart of food. "Are you ready for breakfast?"

"In bed?"

"Of course." She brought a tray to me from the cart. "Usually, you'd be eating breakfast downstairs, but Prince Edward insisted. He said you'd had a long day yesterday."

Yesterday. What happened again?

Oh, right. I busted Ed and was thrown in jail.

Productive day.

"That was nice of him," I commented.

"Yes, it was," she agreed. The other maid silently left.

I watched her bustle around the room, tidying up and moving things around. She seemed content, humming to herself as she worked. "What is your name, if you don't mind me asking?"

"You can call me Margaret," she answered with a smile. "What's your name, dear?"

"Elizabeth," I answered.

"Well, Miss Elizabeth, you'll be seeing a lot of me during your stay here. I'm your lady's maid."

My eyes widened. "I have my own lady's maid?"

She laughed. "Why wouldn't you have one? Now, eat up. I've been told you must be ready by eleven."

This I could get used to.

I complied, finally looking down at the plate she'd given me. The only things that were familiar to me were the eggs. Two of something that looked like hot rolls drizzled with butter caught my attention, and they smelled strongly of cinnamon and nutmeg. I broke one open with my hands, finding the center stuffed with warm cinnamon apples. With no hesitation, I took a large bite of the roll, groaning and falling back against my pillow as I savored the taste in my watering mouth. "This is amazing," I said through the bread as the cinnamon danced on my tongue.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," Margaret said. She busied herself by opening the wardrobe on the far end of the room and sifting through the clothing.

"We don't have much here," she said over her shoulder. "It's been a long time since we've had a young lady with us, but our seamstresses downstairs are working on more for you, and I think that Prince Edward has sent off for a few things as well."

"I could wear the same couple of dresses," I offered. "I don't need much."

"It's no fuss," she waved me off. "You need more than a few dresses if you're staying in Devereux a while."

Staying?

I hadn't thought about that. How long will I be here?

How will I get home?

When I finished eating, I crossed my legs on the bed while she held up different garments.

"How about this one?" she asked, holding up another linen dress like what I had worn before. This one was a pale yellow. I wrinkled my nose.