i shrug even though she cannot see me. "it was fine."
she turns around and looks me in the eyes, concern visible in her expression.
"anyone giving you trouble?"
i groan. "no, everything was okay."
mum nods.

i grab an apple from the fruit bowl and head upstairs, finally being able to be alone for a while. i pass the lounge to see my dad watching a football game fully immersed in his jersey.

jogging up the stairs i pass my brother adrians closed bedroom door. i could hear he was playing mario kart.
i reach my bedroom, walk in and shut the door. finally alone.

temperatures dropping, temperatures dropping. im not sure if i can see this ever stopping

***

i fly up in bed screaming and sweating. another nightmare..another frightening, painful, sad nightmare. when will they leave me alone? when will this memory of him leave?
"you fucking asshole, jack!" i shriek through my tears.

shaking hands with the dark parts of my thoughts, no, you are all that i've got, no

authors pov:

this is half the reason dan is broken..unable to trust. being hurt, betrayed, lied to, used..right around the same time two years ago, the bullying started. dans family only started to move when they realized the problem was getting really major..1 year from then. jack was getting worse and worse with what he was doing and so were the others at school.

even to this day the 16 year old still feels the pain he did then. he just wants to move on..he wants to forget. but the more he doubts himself, the weaker he gets. does he need help? in his mind he does.

grabbing his phone from the nightstand he checks the time; 3:02am.
after calming himself down to the best of his ability, he shut his eyes and lets sleep consume him.

***

the next day dan had found out that the guy from the previous day, phil, was in dans english class. he also found out they were being paired together for a project.

as soon as all of the pairs were put together, the two teens started to brainstorm some ideas. they had to write an essay on each other's interests.
that would mean dan would have to talk about himself..maybe not deep personal stuff, but..

dan was twiddling with his thumbs until phil snapped his fingers to bring dan back to reality.
"you alright dan?" asked phil conceringly.
dan lifted his head to meet phil, his bright blue pools of life for eyes looking at him. out of everyone in the world phils eyes were on dan. average, boring, broken dan.

phils pov:

i had decided to break the silence between dan and i. it was getting pretty awkward, but honestly i didn't care too much. it gave me a chance to really look at this guy. he was extremely attractive..yet intriguing.

there's just something about him..since i've seen dan for the first time just yesterday. the look he gave me. his brown eyes had something behind them..hurt. it pains me to see him like this. maybe i can help him, just maybe.

i coughed awkwardly, then tore my gaze away from the brunette dressed in black and down to the outline sheet for our essays.
"so, dan. what do you reckon we should do? since this is an assignment we're gonna have to do this outside of school." i say.
dan just nods.
"do you wanna come over to my place?" i add, secretly hoping he'd say yes.