Bruises Chapter Eleven

Start from the beginning

“Fine, fine, fine… I’ll stay here for like five minutes… and don’t mention the eating thing to anyone, okay… I want to try and work that out between me and Marls… last time everyone got involved it ended with her fainting… remember? You were in charge.”

“Okay and shut up, I still feel guilty about that. Just relax before you come out.”

“Trust me dude, I know you do… So do I.” He leaves and I just walk around the room I’m in. I walk over to the desk and slam my fist down on it… which kind of relaxes me a bit… but then I remember that Marley is right outside and that if I punch a hole in one of these walls I’ll probably get arrested or something. So I take a couple deep breaths a walk out into the lobby and see Marley sitting on the floor against the wall, crying. I jog over to her.

“Baby, baby, baby, I’m sorry I flew off the handle, I just, I couldn’t let him get away with saying stuff like that, I wouldn’t feel right about it.” I apologize as I pull her into my arms.

“I just- I couldn’t see you, when all that was happening… and I thought I’d lost you…”

“Never, you would never lose me, baby. I’m not going anywhere… I just, lost myself for a moment… I don’t know what got into me.”

“It’s okay… I forgive you… You should know that I’ll always forgive you.”

“Even if I break your heart?”

“I already did, didn’t I?”

“And I’ll always be here… don’t worry.”

“I know… Let’s get home to the kids… and free Quinn and Puck.”

“You know, we probably could go to dinner, they won’t mind… plus, I just want more alone time with you…”

“Yes. Let’s go.” She tells me smiling widely.

MarleyPOV

“When was the last time we actually went out, just us?” I ask Ryder once the waitress at Breadstix takes our orders, leaving us, coincidently in the booth we always sat in when we came here in high school.

“In this life or our high school life? Because I’m pretty sure that was the last time we went anywhere outside of the house without the kids… and not to go somewhere that had to deal with the case or anything other than us.” He answers, taking my hand across the table, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles.

“I love when you do that…” I tell him softly.

“What?” He asks looking at me with that adorably confused look he gets.

“That.” I say nodding at our entwined hands. He smiles and leans over and kisses my cheek.

“You know, when the girls hear about all the amazing, extravagant and wonderful things you do for me and fawn over all of it… I kind of have to laugh to myself, because as much as I love those things you do for me… I love the little things, the ones you probably don’t even realize you do, and the things that I know are never going to change… that are the things that mean the absolute world to me.” I tell him, laughing at how he blushes.

“Like what?” He asks smirking, still blushing slightly.

“Like I told you, when you hold my hand and rub your thumb over my knuckles. How I know that every morning when you get up for work, you check on Rachel and Mikey (A/N: Just assume that Ryder basically lives at their house, he’s there that much.) and then you come back in the bedroom, kiss my hair and shower, How I know the only songs you ever sing in the shower are ‘Juke Box Hero’, ‘Superman’ and ‘I Only Have Eyes for You’, I love how when you work on the cars at Burt’s shop, you hum ‘Greased Lightning’ to yourself. And how you like to take whatever I’m cooking with or holding and use them as drumsticks. I love how when you’re nervous you rub your hand up and down your arm seven or eight times, depending on how nervous you are, then you run your hands through your hair and down to the back of your neck. How you defend every one you meet until you have a reason not to.”