Bruises Chapter Nine

Chapter 9:

MarleyPOV

The next day, I was sitting in a conference room in a law firm, with the case prosecutor. Ryder is at work but Jared is here to make sure that I am not forced into saying anything that could ruin our case.

“So, Mrs. Humphrey, -“as the lawyer across the table from me mistakenly begins, I interrupt her.

“I’m sorry to interrupt ma’am, but it Ms. Rose, please.” I politely correct her. I can tell she’s trying to manipulate me into something, but I’m not totally sure what.

“Oh, Well, I’m sorry, the records don’t say anything about a divorce… but- um- well yes… now let’s see…” I’ve thrown her off her game… Good.  Let’s see what she really wants… I know how conniving bitches work; I’ve dealt with them since high school.

“You don’t have to be divorced to change your last name… or to completely erase someone from your life either.”

“Well, with that settled, let’s get started… So you and Mr. Humphrey met how?”

“In college… I was a freshman and he was a junior. We had a random business class I was forced to take together. After about a week of hitting on me, he asked me to coffee after class.”

“How long we’re you two together?”

“Well, we dated for four years and were married for three before he left.”

“Okay, that seems normal. Now, when did he first hit you?” She asks bluntly and that’s the moment Jared finally speaks up. He’s not only the lawyer but he’s playing the ‘Big Brother’ figure while Ryder isn’t here to watch the women’s boundary lines.

“Hey, we’ve already given you a written and a recorder statement about the domestic abuse in the case, why the need to review once again?”

 “I need it for my record.” The lawyer whose name I believe to be Anne, states plainly.

“Well, I don’t care about your damned record. My client’s psychological state is more important to me…” He continues to talk and defend me but I zone out as my phone vibrates on my lap. It’s Ryder.

Ryder<3<3<3

Hey, how’s it going? Are we going to kick ass?

I laugh a little at his positive attitude and text him back quietly.

Me

Not totally great. It was going well in the beginning, normal questioning about the way we got together and the advancements in the relationship (had to correct this women on my last name… twice) and then she asked the million dollar question.(and if you don’t know what that is, you’ll be fired as boyfriend when I get home.) Jared flipped out and now is babbling (he does that when he gets nervous… which is probably not good) about how my mental state is more important to him than her damned record… his exact words (actually he used ‘psychological’ and not mental, but whatever.) Next time I get interrogated, you’re coming with me… this is too stressful, and I demand chocolate and lavender bubble bath to be waiting for me when I get home(Please?) and my children at someone else’s house,  and my boyfriend(preferably shirtless) also waiting for me. Iloveyou<3

“Marley, Marley… Are you listening?” Jared’s voice pulls me back out of my own mind and into the present.

“Uh- Yeah, what’s the question?”

“Why didn’t you leave Andy?” Anne repeats.

“I was afraid. I was afraid of what would happen to my kids… and me.”