Bruises Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13

“We have decided based on the evidence presented, that Michael and Rachel Humphrey, because it seems their father is not able to care for properly, will return to the custody of not only their mother, Marley Rose but also Ryder Lynn will become a guardian as well.” A Juror says as I grip Ryder’s hand until my knuckles turn white. As we are given the news, he squeezes my hand.  The judge stands up.

“I have also made a decision on my own; Andrew Humphrey will have weekly visitation rights.” I tighten my grip on Ryder’s hand once more. “These visits must be public and must have either of the guardians present, because of the evidence of Mr. Humphrey’s abusive past.”  I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding. “Do all parties agree to the presented decision?” The judge asks. Ryder and I nod and I see Andy do the same. “Well then, court dismissed.” The judge says then walks to his office. I turn and look at Ryder.

“I know it’s not nice to say I told you so but…” He says laughing, pulling me closer to hug me.

“Shut up…” I tell him. He just laughs and kisses my hair.

“Why don’t we go home?” He mumbles into my hair.

“Sure.” I say. He wraps his arm around my waist and leads me out of the courthouse. During the ride home, I can’t stop smiling, that is until I realize something.

“So, I guess the restraining order is a no go now.” I say frowning at him.

 “Can you just be happy for once without worrying about everything else?” He asks laughing once more.

“I’m serious Ryder.”

“I know. I guess it is out of the question. We’ll figure something out, Marls don’t worry. Next week is when the visits start, we’ll lay down ground rules, and I’ll make sure to be completely clear on them.”

“Ryder… Be careful. We don’t know what he’s capable of.”

“I know baby, but for tonight just focus on the positive. The kids are ours.” He says, his smile growing larger, if that was even possible.

“Oh my god… Ours… the kids are ours… Can you believe that?” I ask him, utterly shocked that that dream had become a reality.

“You know, I don’t think I did until you said it, it made it real.” He says, squeezing my hand.

“I feel like I’m one step closer to putting my life back together, to feeling complete again.” I say, sighing at the end.

“I’m glad that’s how you feel. How about we tell the kids the good- the great news and then we all go out to dinner?” He suggests, I nod and kiss his cheek.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 “That’s so amazing! I told you everything would be okay.” Rachel tells me as we sit in the Lima Bean. Ryder went to the tire shop to tell Finn while I met up with Rachel.

“I know, it’s just a relief to have it all over. I feel like I can breathe again.”

“How do the kids feel about everything?” She asks me.

“I don’t think they really understand what has happened, you know?”

“I wouldn’t expect them to, they’re too young. I think they just know that someone is here to stay and take care of you all.” She explains. She has a real point.

“It’ a good thing too, I don’t know how much longer I would have lasted alone.” I admit, she gives me a scolding look.

“You weren’t alone, we had you all covered.”