14: Songs and Secrets

Start from the beginning

                  "Uneventful," Louis said. "I finished grading those essays I've been complaining about for the last two weeks, so no worries. I'm finished whining your ear off."

                  "Did I ever complain?"

                  "Well, no. But I'd assume it wasn't very pleasant."

                  Harry raised a brow and shrugged, settling back into the cushions. "I quite like when you're whining in my ear."

                  "Wow. Not sure that's what I said, Harold, but okay." To keep Harry from seeing his entire face turn an embarrassing shade of red, Louis turned to rummage through his bag.

                  "I mean, that's basically what you said."

                  "No. Not really."

                  "You meant it, though."

                  "Did I?"

                  "I hope so."

                  Wide-eyed, Louis swallowed. "Okay, so, anyway. I wanted to ask you something." Although it looks like all of my fears are quickly being confirmed and I probably shouldn't anymore.

                  "Hmm?"

                  Louis was nervous again. It'd all gone away as soon as he laid eyes on Harry, but it's back. All of it. Harry was going to make it awkward. He was already doing that. And it didn't necessarily make Louis uncomfortable, but it's just...did he want to talk about this already? No. He knew that. That much, Louis was certain about.

                  "Well," he began, clearing his throat. He had his notebook in his lap, tapping a pen against the cover as he forced his tongue to do its damned job. "I was thinking."

                  "Yes?" Harry asked, slowly and dragged out. It reminded Louis of a scene from a movie, but he couldn't figure out which one.

                  "That...that maybe, um, we could possibly..."

                  "Yes?" Harry leaned forward this time, staring intently and Louis with the hint of an amused smirk brewing.

                 Finally, Louis figured it out. "Quit acting out Anastasia scenes and be serious, you peasant."

                 Harry sat back again, laughing. After a second, he sighed, folding his hands and setting them in his lap. "Okay. Continue."

                 "Anyway," Louis huffed. "I was thinking that – and feel free to tell me if this is a stupid idea, I was just...I just sort of thought of it last night, and... Well, what do you think about maybe turning one of your poems into a song?"

                  Harry didn't respond right away like Louis thought he would. He actually took it seriously and was thinking it over, and somehow, Louis kind of regretted making him think this was a super important thing. Because now he was all anxious and fidgeting and chewing on the insides of his cheeks waiting for Harry to either make it awkward, tell him it was a terrible idea, or agree to do it.

                   After a long minute that felt like ten, Harry's brow furrowed. "What if I'm no good?"

                  "Huh?"

                  "What if all my poems are rubbish? How would you know?"

                  Louis raised a brow. "Harry, I've read your poems already. The napkin ones, anyway."