Passing the Poem

"Alright class. Pass your poems to me before you go. I'll be choosing the best ones to be read aloud next week." Mrs. Collins announced. My other classmates immediately tossed their works on her desk and ran off. I painfully gave her paper and tried to leave the room as fast as possible too. "Avery Jameson, do you have a minute?" she asked me. I sighed before turning around to face her. I gave her a small nod letting her know I was listening.

"Listen, I know it's been hard for you since the accident. I'm quite impressed on how well you're handling it but if you ever need someone to talk to about it, I'm all ears." She then smiled at me, thinking I would go ahead and tell her everything. "Thanks for the offer," I told her "but I think I can take care of myself. Besides, I didn't know him that well."

With that, I left. I knew it was not the best response but I was not planning on talking about what happened just yet. It was just too traumatic that I still could not let it sink in. I doubt anyone could understand how I felt. How does one recover from the pain and guilt that was going through.

He was a stranger to me. How could I say that I missed him? What could I tell at his funeral? What part of my daily routine would have changed now that he was gone? He was no one to me...at least until a week ago.