l u k e

f i v e

kaarina was lied on her back on a blanket stretched over the hardwood living room floor. she was staring up at adora with her big eyes while i tried to assemble the toys. i was trying to jam a plastic piece into a larger piece but it was not going well. it didn't work until adora turned the piece over so the piece actually lined up with the hole. i grumbled at her and she giggled in response.

i looked up as michael stormed through the door. his blue hair was just a blur until he stumbled up the stairs. he had one boot on and one piece of pizza in his hand.

"michael," adora drew his name out and turned towards him.

"don't use that tone with me, mum. i'm fine," michael snapped back.

she exhaled, "we both know you aren't. come, speak to me. let me eat your pizza. let me love you."

"i don't need your love," the pale boy grumbled as he trudged down the stairs and over to adora's spot on the floor.

his long legs curled against his chest and his lanky arms wrapped around his knees. he rested his chin between his jean covered knees so his cheeks squished up. adora gazed over at him cautiously, scooting a little closer.

"do you remember that girl i thought i would have a future with?" michael mumbled, "this was a long time ago but i talked about her for a long time."

"which one? the one that the sex was so good you wanted a future with that or the one you had actual feelings for?" i asked bluntly.

adora smacked my arm. i smiled apologetically at michael but he didn't seem to care.

"the first one you said. it turns out that i'm getting a future with her sooner than i expected."

both adora and i stared at him. i was very confused on what that meant but adora was shifting around nervously like she knew something. i peered at her to see if i could decipher what it was but her eyes weren't showing anything. michael stared at her, too.

"i, uh," he paused, rolling his lips together, "i have a kid. he's two and i just found out about him."

the plastic piece i was holding against the other slipped and flew across the room. adora froze. michael stayed in the same position, strangely calm.

he only moved to look at adora, "why do you look like you know something?"

"the girl ran into me at the store with the kid a couple months ago. i thought she looked familiar but i didn't think anything of it; i was too pregnant to care about anything. i didn't tell you because i didn't think anything of it but my mistake. i'm really sorry, mikey."

he shrugged, "it's not your fault. i'm more upset about the fact that she's a shit mother. sam, the kid, has a terrible life right now and i don't know what to do about it."

"terrible? how?" i questioned, finally overcoming the shock.

"um, well, she lives with her boyfriend who's an addict, the kid lives off of snacks, and the mom is always dropping him off in sketchy homes for kids. he's fucking two and if he keeps living like this he has a chance to be, well, to be like me without the band."