A Garden Party for a Guest of Honor

Start from the beginning

"I'm off to the docks to go pick up your brother Mercy." Said Grell as he walked to the front door. "Now please do refrain from drinking today my love. I know how badly you want to make your brother happy." Said  Grell as he kissed Mercy goodbye. "Goodbye darling, I'll be back before you know it." 

"What do I do now? Should I just wait until someone knocks on the door?" Asked Mercy to herself as she sat down in a chair waiting for about twenty minutes before she heard the doorbell ring. "Wow people sure like being on time around here. I wonder who it is." She said to herself as she opened the front door to see Undertaker, William, and Ronald at the door.

"Mercy it's so good to see you!" Shouted Undertaker with glee as he rushed to hug her. "I brought you something sweet." He said as he handed her an urn filled with bone shaped cookies.

"Oh thank you undertaker, that's very kind of you." Said Mercy as she accepted the urn. "Hello William, hello Ronald. How have you two been?"

"I've been missing you every single day." Giggled Ronald with a wink. "Hey where's old man Sutcliff?" Asked Ronald as him and William walked in. 

"Oh Grell? He went out to go run an errand for me." Said Mercy as she closed the door behind them.  

 "Your really working him aren't you?" Asked William as he looked at the decor of the humble mansion. "I've noticed he's still been fulfilling his duties as a reaper and still is in service to you." 

"Oh well Grell more or less lives here rather than actually works here." Said Mercy as she escorted the trio to the garden. "I'm not one to hire a house staff, I usually do my own house work." 

"Oh really? So you have all this money and power and you still do your own house work?" Asked Ronald. 

"Yes, you see a government rarely needs a mercenary. So when I'm not needed I just sit around doing nothing." Said Mercy as she adjusted a bouquet of light green roses. "So I basically do my own house work and I garden every now and then. What do you all think of my rose garden? It has almost forty different species of roses and several hybrid roses."  

"Oh my Mercy that's an awful lot of roses! You certainly have a fondness for them don't you?" Said Undertaker as he looked at a bush of deep violet roses. "Oh what's this? Mercy it seem some of your lovely roses have succumbed to some kind of black rot." Said Undertaker as he pointed at a bush of deep black roses.

"Oh that's not rot, those are the roses I had imported from Romania." Said Mercy as she plucked one despite the sharp obvious thorns. "These are considered to be legendary roses with dark secrets."

"What makes these roses special aside from their odd color?" Asked William as he adjusted his spectacles and eyed the black rose.

"The only way to get them this color is to water them with vampire bat's blood." Said Mercy as the three got a look of terror and disgust on their faces. "But their smell is even more legendary, their strong sweet robust scent and ability to be turned into the sweetest wine in the world." She said as she took a whiff of the black rose.

"You can turn flowers into wine?" Asked Ronald as he took the rose from Mercy. "Wow and here I thought they were something you only brought on a first date."

"Ooh look over here at these pretty pink ones! Are they tea roses?" Asked Undertaker as he looked at a hedge of pink roses. 

"Yes they are, I planted them hoping they'ed attract butterflies." Said Mercy as she walked towards the gardens entrance. "You all help yourselves to the refreshments, I have to go check to see if any more guests have arrived." Said Mercy as she walked towards the front door, as she was making her way to the door the bell rang again. The next guest to arrive was Alastair Chambers (Viscount Druitt).