Chapter Two

Sitting in the restaurant was torture. Everyone around me was laughing and having a great time and I was in misery. I just wanted to go home, take a shower, and cry. I wouldn't allow myself to cry at the funeral in front of everyone.

Mom was sitting on my right looking at her menu and Steve was sitting across from her reading his menu as well. Logan was sitting across from me coloring with Molly who was wedged in between Steve and him. Which was actually kinda cute.

"You know what you're gonna eat?" mom said.

"Yeah."

I didn't have to look at the menu to figure out what I was gonna eat. Carrie and I use to come here all the time and we would always order the same thing. My mind kept thinking about Carrie and all the fun we use to have when she was still alive. Every time I pictured her face I could feel that lump coming back and my eyes would blur. I needed a distraction to stop thinking about her. I couldn't think about her it hurt to much, so I watched Logan play tic-tac-toe with Molly and silently laughed to myself when he lost to his six year old sister.

The waitress finally came over and took our orders. Instead of getting a pepperoni pizza and coke I decided to get a bacon cheeseburger and chocolate milkshake. Carrie's favorite. The waitress took everybody else's order and darted away towards the kitchen.

"So, Hayley," Steve said.

I looked up at him and saw that his face looked very serious like he was about to say that I was going to be shipped off to military school. Once that thought popped into my head, I felt scared.

"I hope you don't mind moving into a new home."

I shook my head. Maybe getting away from my old home would help me get past this and be able to move on. Carrie and I had to many memories there. My moms engagement could actually be a positive thing and a new start for me.

"Okay, good then."

"So when's the wedding?" I asked.

"Not for another few months,'' my mom clarified. She looked like she wanted to say something else but wasn't sure if she should, she looked over at Steve and he just nodded, telling her to continue.

"What's going on?'' My heart was beating fast and my face was burning up. Horrible thoughts were entering my mind and I couldn't get rid of them. Oh, my God I'm gonna have a panic attack in the middle of the restaurant.

"I was wondering if you would help me...plan the wedding!"

Help plan the wedding? Mom wanted me to help her plan her wedding. Four pair of eyes were staring at me, waiting for me to answer. I didn't know what to say. I'm happy that my mom decided to pick me to help her when she could have asked one of her other friends. I looked at Logan for help. Which was no use because all he did was give me a small smile that said "it's your decision"

"Sure."

My mom beamed and grabbed me into a hug. Steve looked relived that I had said sure. I'm guessing that if I didn't say yes, then mom would make Steve help her plan the wedding. Which I could tell was something he really didn't want to do. Neither did I but I couldn't say no for two reasons. One: I couldn't say no to my mom. Two: maybe it would help me to stop thinking about Carrie.

When our food came we all ate quietly. Hardly any words were spoken. The only person that did speak was Molly and all she talked about was her ballet class or who her favorite Disney princess was. I listened but wasn't really paying attention to what she was saying. Logan tried talking to me but he had to say my name like three times before he could get my attention. When he did, he told me a story about how he was trying to impress some girl and ended up falling into a trash can. Of course this happened in junior high.