Chapter 4.9 (Malfoy, the Ferret)

Hogwarts castle
Scotland, Great Britain
2 september 1994

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy. Heavy clouds of pewter grey swirled overhead as Aurora examined her new timetable at breakfast.

"Today's not so bad....outside all morning." Said Ron, who was running his finger down his timetable. "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures....damn it, we're still with the Slytherins..."

"Double Divination this afternoon." Harry groaned, looking down. Divination was his least favourite subject, apart from Potions. According to Victoria, who also had Divination with Harry and Ron, Trelawney had spent most of last year's lessons predicting Harry's death.

"You should have given it up like me, shouldn't you?" Said Hermione briskly, buttering herself some toast. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy."

"You're eating again, I notice." Said Ron, watching Hermione add liberal amounts of jam to her buttered toast.

"I've decided there are better ways of making a stand about elf rights." Said Hermione haughtily.

"Yeah...and you were hungry." Said Ron, grinning.

There was a sudden rustling sound above them, and a hundred owls came soaring through the open windows, carrying the morning mail. A large tawny owl soared down to Neville Longbottom and deposited a parcel in his lap. Neville almost always forgot to pack something. On the other side of the Hall Draco's eagle owl had landed on his shoulder, carrying what looked like his usual supply of sweets and cakes from home.

During Herbology in greenhouse three, Professor Sprout showed them the ugliest plants they had ever seen. Indeed, they looked less like plants than thick black giants slugs, portruding vertically out of the soil. Each was squirming slightly, and had a number of large, shiny swellings upon it, which appeared to be full of liquid.

"Bubotubers." Professor Sprout told them briskly. "They need squeezing. You will collect the pus-"

"The what?" Said Giselle, sounding revolted.

"Pus, Longbottom, pus." Said Professor Sprout. "And it's extremely valuable, so don't waste it. You will collect the pus, I say, in these bottles. Wear your dragon-hide gloves, it can do funny things to the skin when undiluted, Bubotuber pus."

"I-I c-can't..." Giselle looked close to crying. "It's gross. I-I can't..."

"Miss Longbottom-" Professor Sprout started, sounding a little impatient.

"I'll do hers." Neville said. "Giselle, it's okay."

Giselle was breathing heavily, staring at the plants. It looked like she was about to have a panic attack.

"Gigi, breathe..." Elizabeth said, holding. "Inhale and exhale. Nothing's going to happen, Giselle."

"N-no, n-no!" Giselle choked but sounded determined all the same. Her big blue eyes wide, not looking away from the sluggish plants.

"Professor, I think it might be for the best if she goes to the hospital wing. She's close to a panick attack." Aurora said, alarmed.

"Yes, well...can somebody take her or is she capable of going on her own?"

"I'll take her." Neville said and he left with Giselle still shaking in his arms.

Elizabeth watched them go before turning to Aurora. "This is more serious than I thought, Ara. I've known her for three years now and not once did she behave like this. I think it's time we find a way to help her get rid of her OCD."