Grandma

"You're going, and that's final!" My mom screams. I don't want to go to my grandma's house. She is suffering with Alzheimer's disease and doesn't remember me. She is crazy. She is always rambling about the gardens soul. No one knows what she means, not even my best friend who is in 7th grade, one grade over me. She is taking collage courses at MIT. Anyway, my mom isn't going to go with us to Grandma's house because she can't stand her but she is making me go because I'm supposed to jog her memory. She thinks I'm a plunger and that I'm there to get her wedding band out from the tube under the sink. She is hopeless. "Get in the car now!" I reluctantly trudge to the car as my mom grabs a can of beer. Ever since my dad went off to Afghanistan, she drinks beer a lot.

"Get out now!" I jump out. I open the door. Grandma. "The ring is still in the sink." I shake my head. " Grandma it's me, Emory, your grand-daughter." " I don't know an Emory." "Maybe you remember me as Em." "Em, Em, Em." She snaps her fingers as if trying to remember. "Ah, Emory." She nods. "A golden key lies in the hidden drawer under the sink. Go into the garden and water the gold flower. Good luck." She was crazy but grandma loved her garden. A gold flower though? She was nuts. Even still, I grabbed the watering can and headed out side. "The key!" I quickly turned around. "Sorry Grandma." I said. I walked over toward the sink and pulled the cabinet open. There was no drawer. Just a metal box that had a rusted dial. "6-39-23" she yells. I wipe the dial clean with a wipe covered in bike rust solution. Little numbers are all around the edges. It's a vault. "6-39-23." I mumble under my breath as I turn the dial to the numbers. It pops open and I pull out a golden medallion. It's circular surrounded with four large diamonds and in between them four small diamonds. The four large diamonds are light blue almost clear, dark blue, orange, and green. The small diamonds are white which is next to the light blue, red next to orange, brown next to green, and turquoise next to dark blue. In the center was a large diamond that was a beautiful rose quartz color. The light shine through perfectly. It was attached to a gold chain. " Grandma this isn't a key, it's a necklace." "Take it." She says. I grab the watering can and the medallion and head out to the garden.

I quickly find the golden flower. It's a statue. Regardless I water it as if it is a flower. It grows. I scream. Statues don't grow. Why did it go up. It continues to grow until there is a hole in the flower. Then it stops. It is an intresting shape. The shape of... the medallion! I feel lightheaded. I pull it off and place it in. I then pull the medallion out and the flower spins down into the ground. What is happening?