27: Heart of Darkness

Start from the beginning

   "Yeah, neither do I," he said, taking my hand. "I used to, but I can't anymore. Now, I think that we would have had a very, very bad marriage."

   I chuckled and nodded. "We've probably fight a lot."

   "Probably," he agreed. "But, there would be a lot of make-up sex." I pulled my hand away from his and pushed him, rolling my eyes. He laughed, and immediately took hold of my hand once again when I tried to walk away. "But, seriously, Clara. I'll always be part of your life, unless you decide to leave and stop talking to me."

   "I'm debating on that," I smiled, pulling my hand away from his. "Anyway, we should go downstairs. I think Elena's done with Alaric. And Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Seriously?"

   "What?" he shrugged, smiling. "I thought it was funny."

   I walked down the stairs, him following behind with the bag in his hand. In the parlour, Stefan stood by the fireplace and stared into the flames with an empty look in his eyes. I glanced back at Damon, who was staring at his brother with furrowed brows and an annoyed look. "You hear from Klaus?" he asked. 

   "Not yet," Stefan answered, turning to us. "I'm sure I will soon, though." He picked up a white oak stake. "He's expecting me to deliver two stakes. I only have one."

   "Well, that's gonna be disappointing for him," Damon said, almost sarcastic. 

   "I'll get it out of Alaric," Stefan nodded. "I just need some time."

   "I like that confidence, Stefan," the older Salvatore mused. "I don't share it, but I like it."

   "You don't think I can do what it takes."

   "Well, you're good Stefan again," Damon said, then took a quick glance at me, smirked, and shrugged. "Kind of. Sorry, you might get the girl but you lose the edge. Speaking off..." Elena walked in at that moment, her jacket in her hands. "Have you ever flown first class?"

   "Who did you have to compel for that?" Elena asked, almost annoyed. There was a hint of excitement in her tone. 

   "Pft, please" Damon scoffed. "I use miles." He picked up his bag and looked over at me, then gave me a wink with the smirk he seemed to always sport. "Thanks for packing my bags, honey."

   Elena looked at me and furrowed her brows. "You packed his bags?"

   "Long story," I answered as I grabbed myself a drink. "You're running late." Elena looked at me, then glanced at Stefan. I nodded and walked out, following Damon out the door. He took my drink after he put the bags in his car, then looked at me. "Don't do anything reckless while I'm gone," he said, smirking. He handed me back the almost empty glass. "And, behave."

   I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "I should be telling you that."

   "Well, I don't know what you might do with my brother." He sarcastically widened his eyes and wiggled his brows. "So, I'm telling you to behave."

   "Yeah, I shouldn't have packed your bags."

   "Again, thank you for doing all the work for me, honey."

   "Screw you."

   "You already have."

   Before I punched him, Elena walked out. We stopped moving when she hurried past us and got in the passenger's seat without another word. I looked at her and crossed my arms, then looked back at Damon. "Don't do anything reckless," I said, almost mimicking him. "And behave."

    I watched as he drove away with Elena, then hurried back inside. Stefan still stood by the fire, his hands inside his pockets and the same empty look in his eyes. He glanced towards me, cleared his throat, then looked back at the fire. "Damon suggested that we helped Alaric with this thing," he said, lifting up a bottle of whiskey. "He said this might help speed up the process."