eighteen

It was strange and eerie walking through Toronto at night. I had next to no idea where we were, or how long we'd been walking.

Since we had to save all of our money for the flights back over to California, we couldn't afford to take a cab. We'd have to walk to the airport if we wanted to save our money.

Generally, the airport is around an hours drive away. That meant that if we were going to walk, it would take somewhere around five hours.

"How close are we?" Asked River. His back was hunched and he was walking at a very slow pace.

"I'm not sure." I replied, yawning. I was struggling to keep my eyes open.

We kept walking, using only the vast moonlight to see our way. It was a bizarre thing really, to do what we were doing. If you heard of someone doing such a thing you'd probably laugh and think they were crazy. But we had a purpose.

"I can't believe we're doing this." I laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

"Well believe it, because we're doing it!" River laughed back.

"You know, if anyone else had tried convincing me of this I probably would have spewed." I said. River laughed, looking sort of disgusted.

"It's crazy, if you think about it. I mean, two young people just dropping everything and moving to another country over night- literally."

River put his arm around my shoulder.

"You know, I think I remember you now." River said.

"Really?" I said, enthusiastically.

"Yeah. It's your eyes, I swear. They just can't escape my mind." He grinned, looking at me.

"They're so beautiful. They sparkle like diamonds." He added. A huge smile spread over my face. My cheeks felt warm and a massive wave of joy hit me. I loved him so much, it was unexplainable.

I kissed his nose and whispered,

"Is that the only thing you remember? The only thing you know for sure?" I asked. He frowned.

"I, I think so." He said, concentrating hard.

That was amazing. Out of all the things he could have remembered, out of all the important things that he needed to know in order to succeed in life, he remembered my eyes. He remembered me.

We kept on walking through the night, barely stopping. Throats were dry and legs ached. It probably would have seemed like a sort of torture, had I been with anyone else. But with River, it was an adventure.

The sun was staring to rise over the horizon. Bright pink and orange swirls dawned the sky. It was beautiful.

"The sunrise is pretty." I pointed out to Riv.

"Like you!" He added, dead serious. I shook my head and bumped him with my elbow playfully. He stumbled over, shortly regaining him balance and returning the favour. I laughed. That's how two grown adults ended up playing a game of footsies in the very early hours of the morning, on their way to the airport.

A/N
1k reads? omg thankyou so much!