ten

I rubbed my eyes. This couldn't be right. I had to be dreaming. I refocused my eyes, and nothing had changed.

I saw Kate pinning River down to the floor. He had scratches and cuts all over his face, he was wriggling around and struggling to get out of her grasp. She was holding a saucepan over his head, threatening to hit him. About 6 or 7 policemen were trying to pull Kate off of him. Another 3 burst through the door, sirens ringing all over the place. I screamed, running at Kate. I pushed past the policemen, ripping her off of Riv. She stumbled backwards, stunned. I kneeled down towards River, resting his head on my lap and stroking his hair. His nose was bleeding rapidly, I wiped the blood away with the corner of his sleeve. The police handcuffed Kate and dragged her out the door.

"Are you okay?" I asked, panting.

"I, I think so." He stuttered, attempting to sit up. I pushed him back down so he could rest his head.

"I'll be right back. Stay here." I ordered.

"Where would I go anyway?" He joked. I rolled my eyes, His injuries had definitely had not affected his cheeky sense of humour. I rushed off to call an ambulance.

A minute later I returned beside River. The lady on the other side of the phone told me to bandage his head and apply pressure till they arrived, and that's what I did.

After tightly wrapping his head and helping him sit up, I asked him a question.

"What are you doing here?!" I queried, still getting over the situation that happened earlier.

"I came after you, I couldn't let you go this time." He told me. A huge smile crept across my face. It was hard to believe that someone loved me enough to chase after me, even if it was across the seas.

I heard a car pull up outside, assumably the ambulance. I started to get up, preparing for the paramedics.

"So uh, what did Kate do?" I asked. I was unlike her to do such a thing. In fact, it was hard to believe that it was her who was threatening him.

"Kate?" He asked, confused.

"The girl who uh, beat you up." I replied nervously.

"Well, uh, I opened the door, not knowing that you lived with anyone. She obviously doesn't know me, so she just reacted in a way anyone would if someone was in their house. It was my fault really, I'm sorry." He explained. I hugged him tight, resting my head against his neck.

"No, no it's not your fault." I said, rubbing his back and comforting him. The paramedics burst in, shooing me away from River. They cleaned him up and patched up his wounds and were out of the house in 10 minutes. Luckily, he didn't have to go to the hospital.

I made him a cup of tea and sat him down on the couch. His skin was pale and ghostly. I was worried for him, but he kept reassuring me that he was okay.

"How did you know where I lived?" I asked him.

"I have connections." He smirked.

We talked for hours until it got dark. Soon enough, he had fallen asleep on the couch. He looked so cute and peaceful when he was sleeping; so innocent. I lay down, leaning my head on his chest. I laid there for a while, thinking about how lucky I was to have him until I feel asleep.