Forty-Three: Conflicted

Start from the beginning

“It’s nice to see your creepy smile is back,” Uranus commented after putting his phone in his pocket.

“Well, it has every reason to be back.”

“True. I just texted Holly the news. She says she’ll be back to visit tomorrow,” he informed me.

“Did she make it back home okay?”

“She said she went to the library to clear her mind.”

I nodded my head. My attention turned to the door of the waiting room as it swung open. I half expected it to be the snobby doctor to give us some more bad news, but it wasn’t, much to my delight. It was just Margaret, who looked like she was in a rush.

“Need to take the kids—parents are mad—tell the surviving cutie I said hello,” she stated like she was in a hurry as she grabbed both of my daycare kids’ arms and pulled them out of the room.

“Okay, bye,” I said, but they were already out of the room.

I wondered how Margaret knew already, but that was pushed out of my mind when Kurt came to bother me again.

“We’re leaving,” Kurt announced.

I threw a glare his way. “You’re not funny, Kurt,” I said in a flat tone.

“I’m not joking.” Kurt pointed to the phone he was holding. “Dad wants us to go back home and I kind of agree—you look like you’re about to pass out.”

“I’m fine,” I brushed off his concern. “It’s only one more hour anyways. All I need is to see him,” I begged.

“Rena, you’ve been up since four.”

“So?”

“Maybe you should go home, Rena. You’ve been through a lot today,” Uranus butted in, shooting me a worried glance.

“I’m fine,” I assured them.

“Come on, Rena. Liam probably won’t be up until tomorrow anyways. We’re going,” Kurt said with finality in his voice.

Oh so now he wants to play the responsible, older-brother role instead of spazzing out?

“You can go. I’m staying.”

“Rena, you’re being stubborn,” Uranus told me.

“And you’re being an asshole.”

“No, I’m just worried about you,” Uranus said bluntly. “The cemetery, the letter, the thing—you just went through hell and back. You need to rest for a bit.”

I felt slightly guilty for being such a hard ass, especially after Uranus had watched me shed so many tears and break down so much today. But I wasn’t experiencing so much guilt that I was going to go home.

“What thing?” Kurt asked, curiously.

I ignored him, not wanting to go through the explanation again.

“I don’t need to rest. What I need is for you two to leave me alone so I can see Liam,” I argued.

They were being ridiculous. It was one freaking hour and all I needed was one small glimpse. I didn’t even feel tired.

“You get her upper half. I’ll get her lower,” Kurt said suddenly to Uranus.

“What?” I asked, confused. “What the hell, Kurt?” I exclaimed when my brother swiped my feet from the ground, causing me to plummet to the ground on my butt.

“I told you to grab her upper half, man,” Kurt told Uranus disapprovingly, still holding on to my ankles.

“How was I suppose to know what ‘you get her upper half’ meant?” he asked, but still continued to go through with Kurt’s fortuity by lifting me up by my armpits.