Chapter 2

FEW WEEKS EARLIER

"You know your role, right?" Voight quizzed Kim again.

She nodded her head, "I do. I'm a lonely tourist looking for a good time" she explained, hoping to find a repeat rapist that had continued to slip through their fingers.

"Any questions?" He asked the group, he could see Adam out of the corner of his eyes.

His hands jammed in his pockets and he rocked on his heels, "Ruzek, my office" Hank told him.

He felt Kim's eyes on them as they made their way to his office.

"Close the door" Hank ordered Adam, he sat in his chair, "You have a problem with this operation?"

Adam exhaled, running his palms down the length of his jeans, "I don't have a good feeling about this, what if she's not ready?" He questioned. Truthfully? It was him that wasn't ready, he had been paired up with Al and would be in the van outside the hotel.

"She's ready. She's good police" Hank leaned across his desk, "I wouldn't put her I there if I didn't think she could handle herself Adam, you need to know that"

Adam huffed, "Boss.."

Hank cut him off, "I make the decisions Ruzek, you don't like you can take your ass home, understood" his finger wagging in Adam's face.

Adam got up from his chair, "Understood, I don't like it though"

"You don't have to" He replied, "leave the door open"

Adam stalked off towards the break room, he was pissed.

He couldn't understand why the wouldn't send Erin, she had more time in the unit and a shit ton of experience.

He slammed the refrigerator shut after grabbing a Powerade, "Adam" Kim said her jaw clenched and he could tell she was pissed.

He just shook his head, "At least close the door" he told her knowing a tongue lashing was headed his way.

Kim had her hands on her hips her eyes focused on him, "You need to stop it"

Adam sat in the chair, "Stop what?" He asked as if he didn't know what she was talking about.

"Acting like my father!" She said through her teeth knowing the walls in the break room where very thin, "I don't need you undermining my ability to do my job" she was so angry she saw red.

"Excuse me, for wanting to keep you safe" he threw the empty bottle in the trash can, "this guy is a monster and I don't want you being used as bait, they should use Lindsey" he pounded his palm on the table, "she's been in"

She got in his face, "You better not finish that statement, I'm perfectly capable of protecting myself and doing this job" she gave up on trying to keeping her voice down, "it hurts me that you think otherwise" she spat brushing past him and into the bullpen.

"Son of a bitch" Adam muttered.

How could she be angry with him? He almost lost her once and it was the scariest thing he had ever dealt with and then to only have her held captive in a warehouse a few weeks later and barely getting out alive it was almost too much.

She should understand how he was feeling, she was his heart and the thought of her willingly putting herself in a dangerous situation was almost suffocating him.

FOUR HOURS LATER

Adam couldn't take it anymore, "That's it O, this is done" he yelled as he threw the van door open and burst into the hotel.