Chapter 26: Turn of Events

The seal flashes in the sky along with the anthem. No faces flash in the sky tonight. No deaths probably means the Gamemakers will launch a new weapon soon. I think we're safe for a while though. Betee's plan holds enough promise for the Gamemakers to wait a little while longer. They're probably curious if it's gonna work.

Around nine, we start heading up for the lighting tree in the twelve o'clock sector. It's harder now that we're so full, plus there's only the moonlight to guide us.

Upon our arrival at the tree, Beetee unwinds tons of the wire then coils it around the tree with Finnick. The rest of us keep watch. But rather than watching out for other tributes, I start watching Beetee and Finnick. They encompass the tree with wire, passing the spool back and forth. It seems random at first but I realize they're creating an intricate pattern, sort of like the maze. Whether or not that's necessary, I don't know.

The ten o'clock wave starts just as Beetee and Finnick are finishing up on the trunk. I don't exactly know how the wave works- there must be some build up before it explodes and floods the sector. I'm guessing it's ten thirty. The sun agrees with that as well so it's a pretty educated guess.

Beetee walks over to us to explain the rest of his plan.

"Johanna and Prim, you'll take the spool and unwind the wire as you walk all the way to the beach. Throw the spool along with all the wire left on it into the water, making sure it sinks. Then go far away into the jungle. I chose you two since you're the fastest, so use that speed and make it quick."

"Got it."

"I'm going too so I can guard," Rory declares.

"Do you really think Johanna and Prim need you guarding them? No. Your combat skills aren't up to par and you'll be needed back here more than over there. You aren't as swift as them and will only hold them back. You're staying," Beetee says, "That's final."

I don't like it any more than Rory does. But it's true that he won't be much help to Johanna and I, plus we need to be quick. And I trust Beetee to keep Rory safe. At least that's what I'm hoping.

"Don't worry, we'll be right back," I assure Rory.

"Not to the lighting zone- you'll be fried alive. Try to get to the tall tree in the blood rain sector," Beetee reminds us. Johanna and I both nod. He hands us the coil. "Now get going, and make it quick."

I give Rory a quick hug and tell him not to worry, that I'd see him at midnight. I look into his eyes before giving him a quick peck on the cheek. Before he can say anything, I turn to Johanna.

"Let's go."

Johanna unwinds first while I guard. I'm no better guard than Rory but it's better than nothing. Conversation between Johanna and I is minimum, and we move at a pretty quick pace. At this rate, we'll make it to the beach and get to a safe place with no problem.

The insects in the eleven o'clock sector start clicking when we're halfway down.

"We should hurry up. We need to put as much distance between me and the water before the lighting strikes in case Volts miscalculated anything," Johanna says indifferently. I'm once again shocked by her bluntness. I don't say anything mean to her though. Instead I say,

"I'll take the coil now, you did a lot of work."

She nods and handing me the coil. Both our hands are on it when it starts vibrating. Suddenly the thin golden wire springs at us, wrapping around our wrists and snaking down to the jungle floor below us. I look at Johanna with wide eyes but I don't have to tell her anything. She knows too. Someone cut the wire and they're going to come after us.