Chapter 7: We Run

The video wasn't meant for me.

Nevertheless, the message is clear.

We gotta run.

Katniss, Peeta, Rory, their families- we've all got to run.

"How much longer?" Rory groans as I continue to drag him alongside me, walking deeper and deeper into the woods.

"Not much, we're almost there," I tell him.

After a lot of whining, sweating, and walking, we finally get to our destination. It's like a house, but not quite. There's just one room, and the whole thing is made from concrete from the ceiling to the floor. You can see there were 4 windows before, but only one remains. I used to come down here a lot with Katniss, who would bring me here and play with me. It would serve as a safe place for us to talk, a place where the Capitol couldn't hear us.

"You brought me all the way here...for this?!" Rory exclaims and letting another groan escape from his mouth.

"It's important," I insist as I get the fireplace to start.

"So...I've formed a plan," I say, taking a seat in the couch across from him.

"Okay, what's the plan?"

"We run."

He raises one of his eyebrows, as if asking me to elaborate on it.

"We...run away. You and your family, my family-"

"I don't know about that," Rory says.

"Why?"

He shrugs then answers, "I don't know what my mom would say. You've got it easy for you, but our family is quite large...and Posy's only 4!"

I didn't except for him to say no, I thought he'd like the idea, I thought he'd be thrilled to get away from this place we call home. I thought everything was finally going to go well.

"O-okay, tell me if you change your mind," I say quietly, barely hiding my disappointment. I get up from where I'm sitting and walk over to the window. I look out to see the vast area of trees Katniss and Gale probably know inside out. I mull over the possibilities, if my plan could work, or if I just need a reality check.

"Prim?"

I look over my shoulder and realize Rory's been standing there, while I've been lost in my thoughts. It was me who dragged him all the way here, and this really isn't how I should be treating him.

"Mm hmm?"

"I um, I think I like you,"

I freeze, and my mind suddenly goes blank. This isn't what I had envisioned in my mind.

"Rory...you're a great friend, no, a lot more than that, but I-I'm so scared right now, my life is at risk-" So's yours I add subconsciously, "-and I really don't have room for anything else."

There's a pause, and I can't help thinking about how he's feeling. It must have taken a lot of courage to say that out loud, especially for someone so reserved like him, and I just...crushed it.

"No room for me, okay. Be that way," he says, his voice ice-cold. He starts heading for the door and I wonder if I said the wrong thing.

"Wait! How are you going to get home?" I rush, in attempt to get him to stay.

"Got plans to meet Gale, he'll take me home."

Then he's storming out of the house, and I'm left there all alone.

I spend some time in the house, then decided to walk home, alone.

I keep walking down the trail, trying not to think about Rory, and the icy tone he had used on me, for the first time ever. He didn't really mean it, I think to myself, it's going to be okay, we're all going to be safe and sound.

"Prim! Wait up!" It's Katniss.

"Hey Katniss," I greet as she falls into step beside me. I guess I'm not that good at keeping a straight face, because the next thing she says is,

"Okay. Something's up. What were you up to, spill."

At first I wonder if she figured out about Rory but there's no way. I decide to talk about my initial plans.

"I have a plan," I tell her.

"Which is..."

"We run."

"Run away?"

"Yeah! You, me, mom, Gale and his family, Peeta and his family, Haymitch-"

"Haymitch?!"

"Well we can't just ditch him," I reason. Katniss shrugs.

"Well aside from that, how are you thinking of getting all these people away, and to where?"

"I still haven't thought about that yet...so you think it's a good idea?"

"It's great, little duck," she compliments, patting my head.

We keep walking, and we hear noises. At first it just sounds like some arguing, but as we get closer to the square, it get's louder and louder. Suddenly Katniss is telling me to go home. But again I see what I shouldn't have seen.

A wild turkey on a post, his wrists tied to a post, a hunk of meat where his back should have been, a new peacekeeper raising his whip. But the worst part of all, it's Rory.

~A/N~ And...another chapter is up! It's fairly short, but deal with me here, it only get's better.

If you caught the 'Safe and Sound' I stuck in there, you're awesome.

I know the chapter was fairly boring, not much action going on in there. But if you liked it nevertheless, please click the yellow star, in other words, vote~!

I'll be back next week with a new, improved, and longer chapter. Until then, bye!

-Monica