Next To You

Grabe di ako po inexpect na may magbabasa talaga ng story ko T_T super thanks po :D  Eto na po yung update.  Tatry ko pong mag-update ulet next week kahit midterm week na hehe.  Thanks for reading.  Enjoy! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                        

Alden hardly slept at all last night. His time with Maine while walking the streets that night kept on repeating on his mind like a broken record. The refreshing feeling he feels when he's with her. The warmth he felt when they held hands. The way Maine blushed. And the way she looked at him. These memories with her keep on rushing back to him making him restless and a little...confused. What's with last night that made him sleepless? What is this feeling that he couldn't understand?

"Arrrrrrgh!" Alden groans in frustration and turns to lie face down on his bed. "What are you doing to me?" He muffles. Alden turned around again lay on his back this time. Maybe it's just because of the excitement that I'm feeling because we're starting to get along now? Yeah. That would be it. It only has to be it. Alden convinces himself.

Today is a free day for them as well as tomorrow. Maine only has to talk to her tito later to give him an update about Victoire since they're still trying to amend some of the terms. This kind of work is already up to their boss and Victoire's handler so Maine and Alden have little to worry about, which brings him to what he's planning to do today. He's planning to take Maine out – not on a date, but for them to get to know each other more. Alden thinks that this is the first step to take for them to be able to really start over.

Alden scrambled out of the bed and did his daily morning rituals. The moment he goes out of his room, he feels his stomach grumble. Automatically, he looks for Maine in the veranda but she's not there yet. She's probably still asleep. An idea came up to him so he went to the kitchen and rummaged through the fridge and cabinet.

"May itlog pala dito sa fridge. Kelan pa?" Alden mutters to himself as he takes them out. Teka. How does Maine want her eggs? Alden thought and he couldn't come up with an answer so he decided to cook both scrambled and sunny-side up eggs. Well since they are in France, there is a basket of French bread ready on the table. "Ano pa ba meron dito?"

After five minutes, Alden got everything ready. The bread, fried eggs, bacons, and the fried rice that he ordered. Now the only thing left to do is waking up Maine. Alden doesn't know what got to him. He can cook, yes, but he rarely does it.

"Maine?" Alden knocked on Maine's door and waited for her to open up. And then there she is, still with her bed hair and pyjamas. "Good morning." Alden smiles at her and Maine returns it with a sleepy one. Could you be any cuter? Alden was shocked at what he just thought and dismissed it immediately.

"Do you need anything?" Maine asks with her husky voice. Damn that voice.

"Uhmm..ah..breakfast is ready." Maine nodded and told Alden that she'll just wash her face and she will join him after.

"I didn't know you can cook." Maine says as she helps herself from all the food on the table.

"This is no big deal. It's just fried eggs and bacons." Alden smiles at Maine.

"But still, you made an effort by doing this. Why not just call for the room service?"

"I did call them. I ordered fried rice because we have no rice here." The two continue to eat in silence until Alden remembers that he did not prepare any drinks for them. "What do you prefer? Coffee or tea?"

"Coffee. I'm not a big fan of tea." Alden offered to make her coffee but Maine refused. "No, it's okay. I owe you for this breakfast. How about you? Coffee or tea?"

"Coffee. Definitely, coffee." Maine nods and stands up. She suddenly feels lightheaded and Alden notices that Maine sways from where she's standing. Luckily, Alden is fast enough and he catches Maine. "You okay?" Alden asks while holding Maine in his arms.

"I must've stood up fast." She replies and starts to sway in Alden's arms again.

"Woah. I don't think that's the case. You're burning up, Maine, and you're shaking." Alden states as he runs his hand on Maine's forehead. "I think we should really get you to a hospital right away."

"Okay lang ako. This is just a silly fever. Di ko naman siguro ikamamatay 'to diba?" Maine jokes and Alden narrows his eyes at her. "Seriously, Alden, wala lang 'to."

"I'm being serious, Maine. You're making me worried. And baka ako ang mapatay ng tito mo kapag may nangyare sayo. So, please, let me take you to a hospital." Alden is sincerely worried for Maine. There's just a part of him that couldn't stop worrying about her especially after what happened last night.

"If you're really worried about me, just take me to my room and let me rest, Alden. Mawawala agad 'to, I swear. Just don't take me to a hospital. I hate hospitals." Alden is truly tempted by now to carry Maine and force her to get a check-up. "Please, Alden." How could I say no to that? Alden thought as he heard Maine's incredibly sweet voice.

"Okay, fine. But you will rest. Let me do the talking to your uncle later about the update." Alden concedes. He thought that forcing Maine to go to a hospital if she doesn't want to would stress her. Maine managed to go to her room without falling with some help from Alden. She would like to admit that she's starting warming up to him. All the things that Alden did since the day they boarded a plane to Paris and up until now, showed how much of a gentleman he truly is. Alden carefully guided Maine to the bed and tucked her under the covers like a little girl.

"Are you comfortable?" Maine nods in reply. "I'll just clean up the table. Call me when you need something, okay?" Alden is about to leave but Maine calls him out.

"Stay, please. Just for a while." She says with her eyes pleading as she pats the empty space beside her. "You don't have to do anything. Just stay. Please." Alden scratches the back of his head looking really awkward.

"Alam mo inaabuso mo na yung salitang please." Alden jokes. "Pasalamat ka cute ka." He whispers to himself as he walks back to the bed and uncomfortably sits beside Maine.

"Thank you talaga ah." Maine says sounding weak and sleepy at the same time. "Di ko alam kung bakit ka nireject ng girlfriend mo. Mabait ka naman. Super gentleman pa." She continues with her eyes close. "Kung ako siya, 'yes' na agad e." Maine mutters with her voice fading by the end of her sentence. Alden is speechless but he couldn't contain the smile forming on his lips. He cannot believe that Maine just said all of that.

"Itulog mo lang yan, Maine." He utters with a soft voice. Few minutes later, Maine is sound asleep and Alden is starting to feel numb with his sitting position. He decides to lie down beside Maine and he could not help but watch her in her sleep. There's something about her. Something about Maine that draws him closer. Alden cautiously moves toward Maine and examines her face intently with just a few centimetres between them.

She's really beautiful and flawless up-close. Her nose is so cute too. Alden muses as his eyes travel lower on Maine's face. He is almost tempted to touch her nose but he stopped himself because it might wake her up. And she's got luscious lips. God, those lips. I wonder what it would feel like kissing those. Alden ends up wide eyed because of where his thoughts are heading. You can't think like that, Alden. You just can't. Alden stops his wayward ideas and continues scrutinizing Maine. She has a slightly cleft chin. How cute? He travels his eyes back up until he reaches her closed eyes. Such long lashes you have there, Maine. Alden smiles. It's a shame I can't see your eyes right now. I bet you would look even more beautiful with them wide open.

You're perfect, Maine...