Chapter 6 - Demented Pair

Chapter 6 – Demented Pair

If I thought it's going to be that easy to lose Chase Ashford, then I have the misfortune to be quite wrong. For someone who was said couldn't stand to be with women, he seemed to have a knack for chasing them.

It probably wasn't even 10 minutes after I left that I felt an intense glare at the back of my head. Unless there's an FBI wanted poster with my face on it, it's very like that the glare belonged to Chase and a quick glance backward confirmed it. Even amongst the busy New Yorkers going about their day walking the streets of the Big Apple, he's easy to spot. I noticed that since last night, even in simple jeans and shirt, he stood out. It could be his towering height, his naturally good looks or just his commanding presence.

After awhile, I felt him walking beside me without even glancing in his direction, several inches separating us from touching.

Chase continued to follow me as I walked on ahead without a destination, he didn't have a problem following my fast pace with his normal one, yet he hadn't spoken a word. That bothered me for some reason, so I broke the silence.

"You're a hard guy to shake off, do you know that?" He didn't answer at first; a quick glance to his face showed me his serious expression. "I'm surprised you didn't approach me as soon as you're freed."

He scoffed. "And have you accused me of being a persistent admirer?"

"Well, that wasn't a lie, was it?" I shot at him.

All I get was a grunt in response. Well, that doesn't leave me much to work with.

I get the sense that he's angry with me and his silence is his way from showing it. That unnerved me. Whether it was when we were kids or young adults, I quickly find out that I don't like him being angry at me for whatever reason. But before I can think of a way to end the stifling atmosphere starting to surround us, I get a distinct feeling of being watched and if Chase is already next to me, which could only mean one thing.

Unaware that my mind is already elsewhere, Chase kept up with my pace as I inched closer to his side so I can keep walking forward and took a quick glance backwards without bumping into an unsuspecting New Yorker. I knew the moment he thought I was acting unusual when I could felt his eyes on me but I ignored him. I surveyed the crowd behind us until my eyes narrowed on an inconspicuous man in all black...if not for his long-lens camera.

Paparazzi. "Shit," I muttered, sharply glancing forward.

Chase tense beside me, the space previously between our sides a few minutes ago are now nonexistent. "What is it?" he asked, alarmed.

I glanced back and I just knew that the guy noticed my suspicious questioning eyes. Knowing that his cover was blown, he didn't bother staying behind but rather without the pretense, he felt as if he could approach us now. Camera included.

Given this morning's headlining news and how close in proximity Chase and I were, that is not an option.

I glanced forward and quickened my pace, tucking Chase along. "This is all your fault," I muttered pointedly at Chase and without a warning went into a sprint, the stupid devil as my baggage until he took the hint and run on his own. This time I didn't need to glance back to see the paparazzi hot on our tails.

You're not getting a story out of me, I promised.

Recalling the way around the place and I know the perfect place to lose the guy. "This way," I called out to Chase, telling him to follow me. Surprisingly, without a question, he did. Seeing the public library ahead, I slowed into a slow jog and went inside quietly. Chase not far behind. He caught up to me at the front desk, and as if he couldn't help it, he asked, "How did you know we were being followed?"