“Money cannot buy everything,” Matilda replied sharply, the tone she used reprimanding. Even Ingrid jumped at her Great Aunt’s voice. “Ingrid must – no, will come board at my school and I will make her the best Imaginist she can be.”

Tabitha’s face grew redder and redder. Her gaze darted between Ingrid and Matilda in obvious desperation. That was, until finally, a look of realisation dawned on her face.

Despite her mother’s stubborn attempts to keep Ingrid from what she truly was, Ingrid knew, Matilda knew and Tabitha herself knew that deep down, the two Imaginists were right. Ingrid needed and wanted this as much as Matilda wanted her at the Academy.

“Fine.” Her voice was so small, the word mumbled under her breath but Ingrid had caught it with her keen ears. It took everything she had not to cry out in joy, especially since Matilda had given her a warning glare.

“I want a call from you every night,” Tabitha instructed, slowly rising to her feet, appearing rather tired. “And Auntie, I want to be ensured that she will not be in any life-threatening circumstances, at all costs.” She took a deep breath. “I want to know her progress and most of all, I want her safe. That’s the main condition I have.” Her mother paused, giving Ingrid a longing look. “How long will she be gone?”

“The tuition lasts as long as the Imaginist needs it,” Matilda started with uncertainty. “But judging by Ingrid’s lack of any experience or training, I would estimate two years. Maybe less if she can master her imagination quickly.”

“Two years,” she muttered, keeping her gaze on Ingrid. A wry smile cracked her solemn face. “I know you’re talented, Ingrid. So I want you back home within the year. Is that understood?”

“I’ll do my best,” Ingrid told her with a small smile. “Thank you, mother.”

“When is she leaving?”

“Tonight would be fine. I could take her back with me or come again tomorrow morning.”

“No, we’ve inconvenienced you enough by bringing you down here.” Ingrid’s mother waved her hand dismissively. “Ingrid, go and pack all your things. I’d like to keep talking with Matilda.”

“What would I need?”

“All your things, as much as you can fit into your bags. I can take a lot of luggage in my car, so don’t you worry.” Matilda’s uptight posture seemed to have slackened slightly, a smile on her thin lips.

Nodding eagerly, Ingrid opened the doors and suddenly stumbled back in surprise. Three maids staggered forward and without a doubt, they’d been eavesdropping. Despite their nosiness, Ingrid was in much too good a mood to rebuke them.

“Come, you can help me pack,” Ingrid ushered, nudging them up towards the next flight of stairs. “Mother, thank you!”

She could have almost danced her way back to her room but resorted to an impatient pace of jogging. Ingrid started humming under her breath, sweeping her room in a flurry of hands in an attempt to gather all the stray clothes strewn throughout the place. She continued throwing them at her maids who fumbled with the large amounts of material being tossed at them before neatly folding it all into suitcases that Ingrid would be dragging out in due time.

It seemed like no time had passed before she found herself at the front door, in the foyer, giddiness bubbling in her chest. Ingrid couldn’t believe it; a single visit from Matilda had set things straight, at last. And now, here she was, about to embark on an adventure further away from Montgomery, the Charles Manor for the first time in her life. How thrilling!