Chapter 17~ Trust

Annabeth's POV

 I have never hear Percy say something like that to me, well, anyone actually. That was the first time I have actually spoken to him since we found out it was him. Now I'm wondering if there is a chance for us to make amends. It doesn't look like it's going to well so far. He has really changed. He used to be so much more lively and fun not caring about a thing but now he's serious and it's my fault that he's like this. When I watched him with Charlie and James he seems like the old Percy the one that I knew the one I loved. Maybe it's too late. I'll have to talk to him before the war ends and he goes back to wherever he works. So far no one else has tried to speak to him. I can't blame them either. What are we meant to say to him after what we did "Hi Percy, I know we hurt you enough to run away from camp but think we can still be friends?" ermm no.

He walked off a few minutes ago with Zoe and Bianca. Everyone was shocked at Percy for snapping like that even the soldiers. I looked at other people to see their expressions.

Most of the soldiers were just wide eyed or slightly open mouths.

Thalia was trying to look strong but anyone could tell she was distressed.

Grover was trying to stop tears from falling but failing miserably.

Katie had tears sliding down her cheeks with Trevor trying to comfort her.

All the Gods had a look in their eyes which you had never seen by any on them.

Poseidon tears in his eyes, mouth slightly open and he was leaning forward as if he wanted to go after him but wasn't sure.

Campers looked at me wondering what he had meant.

I just closed my eyes trying to turn back time.

Charlie tired looking as ever walked off in the same direction as Percy after he had dismissed the soldiers.

I ran to my cabin not looking back. Luckily no one was in there. I flopped onto my bed with my head in my pillow trying to escape reality.

Charlie POV

Well I kind of fell asleep. I don't know what just happened but most people looked shocked are really sad. I dismissed the soldiers taking Beckondorf with me to Percy. Beckondorf told me what happened. I just nodded and went into the tent. Leaving him waiting.

"Percy, you know this is crazy you don't even know where he is!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, well, I'm not just going to sit around waiting to find out if he's dead or alive." He responded.

"We have a lot of important stuff to do before the big attack that's going to happen."

"I know, it won't take long to find him."

"And how do you know that?!"I raised my voice slightly.

"I don't, okay? I just know I'm not going to let him die."

"Okay , fine, but what if you don't find him what about the camp? You and I both know that there's something or someone bigger and more powerful than the titans and this camp isn't even half ready!"

He didn't say anything.

"Percy, I want to find as much as you do but we have bigger problems right now."

He turned and looked me in the eye.

"3 days and if I can't find him than I'll come back, deal?"

I was reluctant what if something happened at camp of to him? He just stared at me. I knew he wasn't going to give up and even I said he couldn't go what was going to stop him? He has an higher position than mine anyway so I don't know why he's asking. But he would leave when I was asleep so it was useless.

"Fine, deal." I said finally.

A smirk covered his face and I just rolled my eyes. I was starting to wonder when he would grow up. No not when, if.

BECKONDORF POV

I stood outside the tent waiting for them. I thought about what just happened.

Percy has obviously still not forgiven them. When was he going to forgive them or should I ask is he ever going to forgive them? When James was telling us what happened to him all he said was that people started to betray him and he left. He didn't give any details and he said if we did want details go ask him yourself.

Then my mind wandered to when he made me lieutenant. I was surprised, yes, but happy and a little confused as well. Surprised because I really didn't expect it. Happy because well I just got promoted who wouldn't be? I'm technically in charge of an army whilst Percy's gone. Confused. Confused because why did he pick me? There far more experienced soldiers who have been waiting longer than me for something like this, soldiers who are defiantly ready for this. So, why pick me?

I heard their voices rise slightly. It was still muffled I couldn't hear what they were saying. It went quiet and then Charlie spoke again. Charlie walked out of the tent and looked at me. I smiled slightly at him and nodded. He nodded back and walked off. Not too long after Percy came out. He was about to put his hood up when he saw me.

"Hey , Beckondorf, did you want something?" He asked.

"Ermm... Yeah I wanted to ask you something before you go."

He opened his mouth to reply when Bianca and Zoe walked over with hoods on but not up.

"Percy were ready" Zoe told him.

"Okay, I'll meet you at the tree I'll be a second" He said

They nodded and ran to the tree. He waited a second and turned back to me.

"What did you want to ask me?" He asked and started to walk towards the tree me by his side.

"I wanted to know; why did you pick me to fill James' spot when there are soldiers more experienced than me? I asked.

He was silent for a second. He stopped walking and turned and looked me in the eyes.

"Charlie, I didn't pick you because of experience, I picked you because I would trust you with my life and that's enough to know that I can trust you with them." He said

With that he walked up to the girls. Leaving me to think about what he said. Once again I was surprised and happy but not as confused.