Chapter 20

Thankfully, Cheshire wasn't too upset about my refusal of his advances and we ended up just falling asleep together, Cheshire's arms securely around my back. However, when I woke up the next morning, I found he was gone. Still drowsy, I looked around the room with dazed eyes, blinking away the final remnants of sleep. "Cheshire...?" I said.

"In the kitchen," Cheshire called.

I crawled out of bed and rubbed my eyes as I stepped into the living room, yawning big. When I walked into the kitchen, I peered at Cheshire as he plated an omelet. He walked past me to set a bowl in the sink, bestowing a kiss on my forehead as he passed. "Morning, baby," he said.

I blushed. "Good morning..." I said.

"Breakfast is on the table, so go ahead and eat. I'll be out in a minute," Cheshire told me.

I nodded and walked over to the table, sitting down with a tired sigh. Chesh had made bacon and eggs with omelets, and there was some orange juice too. I smiled at how hard he trying to make me happy; he had even made my food into a goofy-looking smiley face. He was sweet.

As I stared at my food, Cheshire came and sat across from me. "Don't worry. It's fully cooked," he chuckled.

I rolled my eyes and we both dug in hungrily. We ate in silence for a few minutes, genuinely enjoying the glorious food in front of me. Then, once my tank had filled some, I began to remember what today was. My appetite was gone almost instantly. Clearing my throat, I asked, "When are we leaving for the castle?"

Cheshire seemed to hesitate, but he still answered my question. "As soon as the others get here," he said.

He shifted uncomfortably and I frowned. "Is everything okay?" I asked.

He looked up and I saw nervousness reflect in his eyes before it disappeared moments later. "Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking about the mission," he said, looking back at his food. "I'm just a little on edge."

"Shouldn't I be the one on edge?" I asked with a laugh, trying to ease the tension. It didn't really work.

Cheshire hesitated again, trying to force a laugh that was obviously more strained than my own. When neither of us reacted to his laugh, he slouched. "Sorry, if I'm scaring you," he said.

I smiled half-heartedly. "Nothing can really scare me anymore," I said. "I'll do what I have to and then everything will go back to normal."

Sympathetically, Cheshire place his hand over mine. "Still. I know this must be hard for you," he said.

"It's fine. Really," I said. I thought about the outcomes the day could bring and shrugged. "If I die, I die. If I don't, maybe I get to go home, maybe I don't."

The look of concern on Cheshire's face melted to regret and he looked away. "That's not a good way of looking at things," he said. When I just blinked at him, unaffected, he sighed. "Let's finish breakfast so we can be ready to leave when everyone gets here."

I felt like something was wrong, but I didn't want to meddle. If he wanted to talk about it, he would have done so already. If he decided to talk, I would listen, but I wouldn't push him. I had grown to realize Cheshire was a complicated character. He liked to do things his own way, and would get uneasy under pressure. He would tell me when he was ready.

We were just finishing breakfast when there was a knock on the door. I walked over and opened it up for Rab, March; Mouse on his shoulders, Hatter, and the twins. I let them in and we swapped greetings while they entered the living room. Cheshire came out of the breakfast room, an obvious look of distress on his face, and went over to Rab. I watched curiously as they talked quietly by the window. Something appeared to be wrong and Cheshire was begging Rab for something.

Just then, I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Hey, Alice. What're you lookin' at?" one of the twins asked, grabbing my hands and spinning me face them.

The other twin grinned. "Wondering what they're talkin' about?" he questioned as if he didn't already know it was the truth.

I glanced back at Rab and Cheshire. "Yeah, but they look like they don't want anyone to hear. Is that normal?" I asked. The twins smiled mischievously at that and I frowned. "What?"

Before I could protest, they grabbed my hands and pulled my towards the back door, shoving me outside and around the house. "Follow us," they said.

I stumbled along behind them, confused. "What for?" I asked.

They shushed me when we neared the outside of the window Cheshire had been standing at with Rab and pulled me to the ground. "Watch," they whispered.

We crawled over to the window and peeked in. Chesh and Rab had their backs to us as they argued furiously. One of the twins reached up to push the window open enough for us to hear what they were saying.

"...No, I'm not. I'm just worried. Maybe we should wait a few more days," Chesh said.

"He'll be fine. If we stick by his side, everything will work out the way it should," Rab replied. It was obvious he was growing agitated with Cheshire.

Chesh seemed equally upset. "But, Rab-" he started.

"'But' nothing. There's nothing more to discuss," Rab cut him off with a warning.

Cheshire growled in frustration and I could see his claws glinting in the sunlight before he stormed off, calling my name as he did so. The twins watched me as I jumped up and ran back to the backdoor, hurrying inside so he didn't find out I had been eavesdropping.

"I'm here," I said as I came up behind him.

He looked relieved for an instant when he saw me, but his relief soon vanished when a hard look came over his face. He hugged me to him and I blinked, confused and embarrassed to know the others could see us. I would have pulled away, but just then, Cheshire whispered something to me. "Whatever you do, don't listen to Rab. Okay?"

My confusion grew, but he didn't get a chance to explain as Mouse came up to us timidly. "W-We're ready to start the m-meeting..." he murmured.

Cheshire nodded and slipped his hand into mine, giving it a tight squeeze as he spoke to Mouse. "We'll be right there," he said.

Mouse nodded and walked back to the others quickly, ducking behind March for comfort. I tried to ask Cheshire what he meant by not wanting me to trust Rab, but he let go of my hand too soon and followed Mouse back to the living room. I bit my lip nervously and glanced at Rab standing near the couch. Questions bounced around in my head about what Rab could possibly be up to that Cheshire was so wary of. The idea that he had plans that I didn't know about arose in my mind, but I shook it away. I was sure Cheshire was overreacting. I was soon to find out he wasn't, but it was nothing like I expected.

*******

Subscribe to my YouTube at: Melanie Eberheart

Donate to my Patreon at: patreon.com/MelanieEberheart

Or follow me on Tumblr at: nekosaysmeow333

-Nekoco