Chapter 1: Summer's Return

Start from the beginning

                 It took Summer an awful long time to finally spit it out.

                 "He... he was cheating on me!" she wailed, refusing to drink the mug of tea I handed to her. "No thanks," she added, looking at me.

                 "With who?" gasped Gina.

                 "Shelly!" she said. "That... co-worker! S-she w-works with him..."

                 "What does Dennis do, by the way? You've never said," I said.

                 Gina shot me a look. "Is that all you care about?!"

                 "Sorry," I muttered, blushing.

                 "S-something to do... with advertising," she said vaguely, still stuttering over the occasional sobs, though not as hysterical as before.

                 "What happened, then?" Gina breathed.

                 "W-well... I caught them at it!" she cried, shaking her head in disgust. "I was s-so angry! Punched him in the f-face!"

                 I snorted. "Nice."

                  She couldn't help but grin. "Yeah," she wiped her eyes again, "Well, he kicked me out and -"

                 "Hold it," I said abruptly. "He cheats, and you get kicked out? Seriously?!"

                 She bit her lip. "Well... it was his apartment and -"

                 "No way!" I growled, furious. "He's not getting away with that!"

                 "No!" she said, grabbing my arm as I stood up. "Don't... please! I didn't want to stay anyway. He's scum, I... I love him but... he's scum."

                 I sighed angrily, but obeyed.

                 Summer continued, but I kind of fazed out after a while.

                 When she finished, I looked up. "Woah. Look at the time. We'd better make some sort of bed for you on the couch..."

                 I trailed off. She glared at me, breathing heavily. "What?" she hissed.

                 I knew I made a grave mistake. "Uh... it's just we don't have that much space! You understand, right?"

                 "After what I've been through, you're making me sleep on the couch?!" she screeched. I flinched at her tone but didn't fail to notice her fists clench.

                 "No!" I backtracked immediately, shaking my head vigorously. "I meant... I will sleep on the couch. You take my room."

                 She calm down and smiled. "Thanks," she said sweetly, and followed Gina out of the living-room to my beloved bedroom.

                 I heard her cackle from inside there. Great... so she'd seen my teddy bear then.

**

                 After putting Summer to bed, Gina came out, looking flustered. I had already nicked a few pillows from her room and created a bed for myself on the couch.

                 "Here," she said, passing me some sheets.

                 "Thanks," I said.