Chapter 2

I padded outside so sit below the Fallentree next to Jaykit and Darkkit. The Fallentree was at the far end of camp and was a thick oak tree that fell during a fire in our camp long ago. It was churned and mossy, but was still here after all those seasons. Amberstar, our leader, padded out of her den - which was an old fox den that had lost its scent - and leapt up to sit on Fallentree. "Cats of DewClan!" the tortoiseshell leader yowled. "We have new DewClan apprentices. Darkkit, please step forward." Happily, my brother took a step forward, his chest puffed out. "Darkkit," Amberstar meowed to him, "until you have received your warrior name, you will be known as Darkpaw. Adderstrike, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You will be Darkpaw's mentor. I hope you pass down your excellent fighting skills to this young tom." A white warrior with many battle scars stepped up and touched noses with Darkpaw. My heart burned with jealousy. Mom and dad must've requested him, I bitterly thought.

"Jaykit, come forward." As told, my half blind sister came forward quietly. "Jaykit, I understand that you wish to be a medicine cat apprentice," Amberstar said. I stared, shocked, at my sister. She wanted to be a medicine cat?! "I discussed it with Ravenwing, and she agreed to take you as her own apprentice. So from now until you've received your medicine cat name, you will be known as Jaypaw. I hope that Ravenwing passes on all her knowledge of herbs to you." I watched as Ravenwing and Jaypaw touched noses. How could Jaypaw, my sister and best friend, not tell me that she wanted to be a medicine cat? "Now, last but not least, Oddkit." I stood up. "Oddkit, until you have received your warrior name, you will be known as Oddpaw. Your mentor will be Fernbreeze." I looked at the speckled gray she-cat. I also noticed how her front paw was twisted slightly. "Fernbreeze," Amberstar said, "after all the battles you've went through, it is finally time for your apprentice. I hope you pass down all of your endless wisdom and power unto Oddpaw." Why is she getting a speech from Amberstar? I thought. How is Fernbreeze special? I touched noses with my new mentor and heard the Clan cheer, "Darkpaw! Jaypaw! Oddpaw!" I was finally an apprentice, and I barely made it in.