A new day

I woke up feeling energized. Last night was one of the worst nights but let me tell you this, my body works weirdly. When I sleep in the worst state, I wake up happy and refreshed.

I sat and rubbed the sleep off my eyes. I stood up and went to my bathroom to bathe.

We were not rich, hell, none of us here is rich. Here, where I live, is where you could find the most poor humans ever. Oh well... I grew up rich actually but after encountering problems in our company, well I guess you know what happened.

Oops, my blubbering caused me to forget my manners. My name is Axle Mae Hughes, the ex-heir to 'the Hughes-Smith Company'. I am 15 and I used to be home-schooled and by 'used to be' I mean 8 years ago.

My father, Maxxon Hughes is a very intelligent man. He was determined to feed us and give us all we've wanted so he looked for people who would help him start a company. My mother was still pregnant with me by that time. They were both ecstatic. After being rejected 5 times, he found one. The Smith family was a very rich family. They were billionaires! My father and Charles Smith, the owner of the company, made a new one and the new one became so famous in the business industry in just a year.

Sadly, things must end.

The HSC became bankrupt for reasons I am not aware of but all I know is someone stole all our money and replaced it with thousands of debt. I probably know what you are thinking, maybe it was the Smith's fault. Maybe it was Charles who did it.

Well...

Knock!

Knock!

The door opened and in came my dad. "Axle, your Uncle Charles.is here"

Yeah... we sort of, kind of brought them down with us.

"Yep, I'm just going to dry my hair"

"Okay just don't take too long. You still have school and Jessie is going to school with you" he said and I smiled.

Jessie is the greatest best friend in the whole universe. Not. I lied.

I don't like her. She was the first to insult me when we were still rich. My smile was fake and I hate her. Even when we are as poor as crap, she still thinks she's the best.

He left the room and I got dressed up. I wore the cleanest tee I have and my hand-me-down pencil skirt. I tied my hair into a ponytail using my last scrunchie. I have to look presentable since this is the first day of me being a junior.

I went downstairs and I saw my father, Charles and the spawn of the devil. I greeted them and they greeted me back. I went to the kitchen and saw a loaf of bread. My mouth watered at the sight.

It might look simple but it was a 5 star meal for me.

A knock on the wall stopped me from my drooling. I turned and saw my mother.

"You hungry?"

I smiled sheepishly and nodded. She took the bread and ripped it. She gave me the bigger half and smiled apologetically.

"Look honey, I know I always say this but things are going to get better"

"They will mom. Either they do or I force them to" I said as I stuffed it in my mouth.

"You know, being poor isn't a legit reason to forget manners" she scolded.

"But you love me for it" I said but it sounded like 'Bah you wove me foh ih'. We laughed and she left. I opened our almost-empty refrigerator and took a slice of lemon that we grew ourselves.

The lemon is to give me a fruity smell, to wake me up and to make my lips pink. I learned that when I came across an old book about how ladies used to act, dress and eat.

I went back out, still sucking on my lemon slice. "Lets go" I said then I kissed my father's cheek then Charles'. I ushered Jessie out and we bickered all the way to school.

The day started off nicely, except for the part where I had to go to school with HER.

I love my school. Everyone treats everyone fairly. We are all the same. We all are poor. We are equal. We don't have money to but food. Luckily, the school was being funded by the government.

There was nothing special about us, except for the fact that we were the smartest students in the state.

This day however is about to change my life...