Freeze: A Cold Hearted Story - Chapter Six

"Lone wolves are not trully alone."

Freeze: A Cold Hearted Story – Chapter Six

“HALEY, start deep systems scan and sweep.”

“Authentication required.” A monotonous female voice sounded all over the server room in block 2.

“UN-EXL employee number 28-A authentication Sierra-Uniform-Bravo Zero Zero Zero Six.”

“Authentication accepted. Deep systems scan and sweep protocols accepted. Please be advised that the procedures requested to run will take time. Enjoy your day.”

“Hey, Tubby, Have you noticed that the blizzards have been more frequent than last year?”

“Nope.”

“But you’ve been out there a lot.”

“I don’t notice subtle things in blizzards, Tubby.”

A knock was heard on the room before a man in a lab coat entered with a folder in his hand and what seems to be a USB on the front of the folder. It is Mr. Nero with his all white hair and pale skin, his lab coats have drops of what seems to be espressos that he drinks in successions.

“Ex, I have made a significant find here in the South. Would you mind to make it look good for a presentation and do fix the English? And if you can look at my laptop which seems to be having errr how do you say it … umm … break?” He continued to murmur with his Irish accent as he looked towards the floor while searching in his head for the word he was trying to say.

“A ‘problem’, Mr. Nero?” I suggested.

“Ahh yes. Problem.” He said as he walked out while writing it down in a piece of paper.

I inquired HALEY how long the diagnostics would take.

“Three hours until completion, Sub Zero.”

I make my way to the Labs and have look at Mr. Nero’s laptop. I restarted it a few times but the OS won’t boot up. I decided to disconnect everything that is connected to it and sat at the cold floor, which made me more comfortable.

“Operating System not available. Please check connection to central server.” The laptop displayed.

I then looked for the connection to the server, which was behind the table and saw that the insulators were skinned for an unknown reason. I went and placed everything back and placed a post-it note that it was under maintenance. I then proceeded to Red’s office to make the presentation, which was about some sort of discrepancy in the data about the deposits of snow around the pole in various but consistent places suggesting some sort of subtle but significant importance. I didn’t really care, I just had to do my job, quick and easy. I did make sure it was colorful though.

“That looks pretty. I like.” Nine went and complimented it.

“I was bored and since Mr. Nero was pale and all, might as well put some color in it.” We both giggled.

After saving the presentation, I went and asked Rick where the extra hardware meant for repairs were, and he gladly pointed at a monitor and gave me directions, I soon found myself tearing up a part of the lab by replacing the faulty wire, the whole segment of the wire. I placed in the new one when Nine tripped over it. She hit her calf at the floor cover and she was holding it while rolling in pain on the floor.

“I can help. Stop squirming around.” I said.

“I don’t want your help.” She shrugged

“Yes you do, I have basic EMT training.” I pointed out.