Chapter Two

Even though all I really wanted to do was lock the door to my room and throw away the key, our private reunion could only last so long before more people started to arrive and I had no choice but to return to the party.

'I have the worst timing ever,' I grumbled, leading a not-rested Tristan back downstairs. 'Or, my parents do. Why did they have to pick this week to go out of town? Or!' I exclaimed, rounding on him at the bottom of the stairs, 'You do. Why today? Why not yesterday? Why not three months ago?'

'I'm here now, aren't I?' he defended himself.

'Yes,' I told him. 'That's exactly the problem.'

'Oh, come on,' he cajoled me. 'It will be fun. We can drink, I can meet your friends, I'll try not to pass out on your couch from jet lag.'

We emerged into the garden to find that the number of people there had tripled since we'd left a couple of hours ago, with more arriving in a pretty constant stream. As the sun started set Maya and Kaley returned from the beach, soaking wet and covered in sand, laughingly asking if they could use the shower.

'There's one in my room, which is at the end of the hall, and another-'

'Oh, no,' Maya interrupted me, smirking. 'We'll only need one.'

'Lesbians,' Timothy mumbled disappointedly.

'Lesbians,' I confirmed.

I looked around nervously; almost everybody was holding a red cup and with more than a twinge of annoyance I noticed Katherine was holding a bottle of rum that she'd definitely stolen from my parents' liquor cabinet. She was pouring generous measures into cups people were proffering at her and drinking quite a bit of it herself as well.

'Thank you,' I snapped, snatching it off her and chugging some of it straight from the bottle for strength.

'Careful,' Tristan warned me, looking amused and taking the bottle. 'Don't let yourself get to a point where you lose control.'

'Glad to see you're back to being condescending already,' I grumbled.

'I actually never stopped,' he smirked, swigging from the bottle as well.

It soon started to get chilly out, what with the breeze rolling in over the ocean, and slowly we all made our way back inside. Somebody commandeered the speaker system and dialled the music all the way up to eleven; drunk teenagers were soon dancing in my living room, my kitchen, on various tables, everywhere. Kids were making out on the couches and the stairs and I debated briefly whether I should go upstairs and lock the bedroom doors but decided I wasn't bothered. Pointedly, I put a glass bowl full of condoms on the coffee table.

'Why do you have those?' Tristan asked, laughing.

'I prefer not to make a mess,' I told him, refusing to be embarrassed. 'Socks are for feet.'

'Fair enough,' he conceded, and pulled me down to sit on him. He'd been chilling on the couch for a while now as I'd buzzed around and tried to micro-manage the party, but it seemed he was tired of entertaining himself. 'Chill out,' he instructed me. 'Fuck, I never knew you were so uptight. You know, for somebody who doesn't have a lot of respect for other people's homes, you sure exert a lot of control over your own.'

'Okay, that's not fair, I only blew up your house because I was saving your life.'

Tristan laughed again. 'I was referring to the snooping,' he said. 'But point taken. Regardless: relax.' He tightened his arms around my waist and I turned away from surveilling the crowd to look down at him, which was a mistake, because whenever I look at him for too long I have to kiss him.