“Anyway, in our past – meaning Vampires -  we have prophecies and such that include humans that aren’t really humans, but for all intensive purposes are human. They age normally, they bleed, they are weak . . . no offense,” She sighed.

“No taken,” I replied interested.

“Well, they will always have one thing that would set them off from other humans. Usually stumbling into the vampire world is a huge sign, but our friend Damon tends to over look omens . . .”

“Omens?” I swallowed.

“Yes?” She drew out the world.

“It’s just so . . . official. I never thought I would ever be a part of anything like this,” I sighed panicked.

“It’s okay,” Vanessa smiled. She was really pretty when she smiled so nice like that, “Anyway, you have been just lucky,” She shrugged.

When I looked at her like she was crazy he eyes widened in realization.

“I mean to survive Padrick’s attack,” She said quickly. “Obviously it was not luck to stumble into the vampire world. Especial with a vampire with such a shady past,” She rolled her eyes.

“Shut up, Vanessa,” Damon snapped at her looking dangerous.

“It’s that kind of attitude that gets you into trouble, Damon,” She snapped back.

“Whatever,” He stood from the bed and turned away.

“My God, he has such a bad temper,” I sighed.

“I know. He is such a stick in the mud,” She smirked.

“Am not,” He growled at us.

“Whatever,” We both sighed and then laughed.

Vanessa stood and walked over to Damon, “Look,” She turned to me, “Damon has described the events that you have gone through since you two met. I can’t fork out anything un usual that rings a bell . . . with the exception of living through getting drained. And like I said that may be just luck,” She explained. I sat back against my head board.

“Are you sure?” I sighed worried.

“Yes, I am,” She smiled convincingly.

“Well, I am not sure I am,” Damon turned to Vanessa.

We both looked at him shocked, “What do you mean you’re not sure?” Vanessa glared at him.

“Yeah, Damon, do share your thoughts since you can read everyone else’s,” I crossed my arms and glared at him.

“Oh get over that,” He rolled his eyes at me, “It’s not like you hide your thoughts that well anyways. Anyone could tell what you are thinking by the look on your face,” He countered.

“Yeah, whatever,” I looked away from him.­­­

"I can’t stick around forever, Damon. You know that,” Vanessa cut in, “What do you mean?”

“I just want to be sure she is safe . . .” He sighed.

“Well, obviously I am since I can live through a vampire attack,” I smirked.

“Don’t take that to heart, Shannon,” Damon said serious, “We should still be careful.”

“Okay, let’s stop avoiding this, Damon,” Vanessa sighed.

Damon looked to her with pleading eyes. He didn’t want her to say something. But what?

“You know you only called me because you didn’t want to call him,” She crossed her arms seriously.