4. After So Long

Abel left Matthias's apartment after he had finished his meal and when the Dane had hopped in the shower. Lukas decided not to acknowledge him any further as he excused himself. What was he thinking? Abel rubbed his palm on his temple, he couldn't believe what had just happened. That Dane was close to- Abel shook his head. He wasn't going to dwell on it like some love struck teenager. He entered the elevator, punching the button of his floor he waited. He still had a couple of hours until work, giving him enough time to stop by the laundromat. Elevator dinging, he made his way to his apartment.

"Good morning Abel." Abel's next door neighbor, Antonio greeted.

"Morning." He responded gruffly. He didn't understand why Antonio was always beaming this early in the morning. What was wrong with the people that lived here? He dug in the pocket of his pants, pulling out his key he unlocked the door. Abel immediately set off to his pile of dirty laundry, loading up his laundry basket. Lifting his bed covers, his phone plopped down on his mattress from the bundle of sheets. Tossing the sheets in the basket he picked up his phone and checked his battery percentage, thirty percent. He cursed under his breath, not only that but he had twelve missed calls. Five from his sister Emma and the rest from his younger brother, Luca. Abel stared at the screen, his brother, he never contacted him in such an urgent manner - he actually never contacted him at all. He knew the reason for Emma's calls, his sister worried for his health and the stability of his current job and apartment. But to receive seven missed calls from Luca, it was unusual. Abel bit his lip. Had he gotten himself in serious trouble? Or was he just dealing with a rough patch on the road? Abel settled on his bare bed as he dialed his brother back. He waited, impatiently listening to the ringing on the other end. After a few more suspenseful seconds later he picked up.

"Hello?" The voice greeted. It was formal and sweet, almost like a child pretending to be an adult.

"Luca?" Abel asked. The name sounded foreign the minute it rolled off his tongue. He hadn't spoken to or seen his brother in a very long time, even before Abel had lost everything, including his job (one in which he had diligently worked.) But once wind blows on a house of cards they all get knocked down.

"Abel. You finally answered."

"I'm sorry I didn't pick up earlier, I forgot my phone." Abel responded. He sounded stupid.

"It's okay, I just called to see how you were doing." Abel raised an eyebrow.

"Since when are you concerned about me?" Luca laughed, Abel had barely remembered the sound of his laughter.

"I've always been worried, Em always kept me updated. I just decided to finally check up on you myself."

"I'm fine. I keep telling her that I'm fine." Abel sighed, running his hand across his face.

"That's good to hear Abel, but - I'd like to meet with you, I wanted to discuss a matter." Luca affirmed.

"A matter? When?" Abel asked, thinking of his schedule for the week.

"Tomorrow morning eight o'clock at the park." That was his day off.

"You couldn't have picked the most perfect time." Abel remarked.

"I'll be seeing you there then?" Abel nodded.

"Yeah. It's good to hear your voice again."He admitted.

"Yours too." Luca replied back as they bidded farewell, Abel hung up. Sitting for a few seconds he contemplated about the conversation he had with his brother less than a minute ago. Had he really just talked to him? After so many years that have passed? And what "matter" was Luca referring to? The one about him losing his previous job and majority of his belongings? His palms pressed on his forehead as he exhaled, his eyes flitting towards his alarm clock. He had to get moving. Mattress squeaking, he got up with his laundry in tow and headed towards his living room to carefully remove the electric blue bicycle that hung from its rack. Abel then began to make his way down to the lobby.

---

The morning sun basked him in the face, an assuring sign of great weather. Abel climbed on his bike after adjusting the basket of clothes behind him. Foot on the pedal he began to ride when a red bicycle quickly blocked his way.

"Hey Abel! I like your bike!"

"Matthias? What the hell are you doing here?" Abel asked stunned seeing the Dane appear almost out of nowhere.

"I'm heading over to the Inn." He answered with a grin. Abel then noticed his attire, silver button up shirt with the top button popped open showing a bit of his chest, his hair more wilder than before.

"Well you should get going." Abel said trying to leave, but Matthias grabbed ahold of his handle stopping him in his tracks.

"The laundromat isn't far, so I'll join you." He insisted, blue eyes gleaming.

"I'm not even going to try to convince you not to, so let's go." Abel said taking lead as Matthias happily followed behind.

A/n- Another late update...sorry. Hope you enjoyed, will edit later.