Chapter 08

I cease all movement and so does he

I cease all movement and so does he. I'm sorry. Am I missing something? Did he just really suggest that we get married as part of our assignment? That is the stupidest suggestion I have ever heard in my entire life! With round eyes, I openly gawk at Noah, who then breaks out into a raucous laughter. "Oh my gosh." He holds onto his stomach and points a finger at my face. "Look at how red you got!"

At his comment, my hands fly up and cup my cheeks. They are scorching hot and I mentally curse my body for reacting on its own accord. Why is my face getting red anyways? People walking by the two of us send estranged looks towards him and I can't help but scowl, throwing my arms back down to my sides. "Shut up. I am not that red." I argue as I grit my teeth.

"Aha, but you admit that you are red." He retorts triumphantly. "I didn't think the almighty Rory Whitaker could do such a thing."

Thank god it's the end of the day. I don't think I would be able to deal with seeing him again. I narrow my eyes and clench my jaw. "People change colors all the time. There's nothing wrong with that." God, what am I saying? No they don't! That was such a lame excuse! What are you doing brain? Work properly, would you?

"I was talking about blushing," he replies, another line of chuckles slipping past his heart-shaped lips. I want to come back with a witty remark to get him to shut his trap but then realization dawns on me. He's laughing... Noah Costa is actually laughing like a normal human being! I cannot believe this is actually happening! This is the first time I've ever seen him laugh like this (not including those annoying smirks he often gives me of course).

"So you can laugh and smile." I point out with my mouth slightly ajar. Suddenly the boy falls silent and quickly glances away. He clears his throat and then looks back at me seconds later. I can feel the corners of my own lips threatening to curl upwards as well but hinder them from doing so.

"Who said I couldn't?" he retorts, sounding almost like a child. "It's a free country after all, isn't it?"

He's so defensive that it's almost kind of endearing.

I put my hands up in a surrendering manner and shrug my shoulders. "I didn't say it was. I was shocked, that's all. This is the first time I've seen you laugh and smile like this. It's actually kind of nice and refreshing compared to your usual poker-face and arrogant smirks." Just wait until I tell Peyton about this. She won't believe it!

"So what you're saying is that you're slowly falling for me?" He questions smugly while he bites on his bottom lip. Hold up. Hit the rewind button please. Where the hell did he get that idea from? I did not say anything even remotely close to that!

"When did I say that?" I frown and shake my head. "You're crazy. That's definite."

"Not as crazy as you'll be for me." He muses teasingly to which I can only face-palm myself for as a response. This Noah is nothing like the guy I see at lunch everyday. Why is he so different around me than he is with everyone else? It's so peculiar to witness him act like a completely different person. But strangely enough... I don't necessarily detest it.