Chapter Nine

"I like that one," I say, pointing to a plain silver band with a fake diamond on top.

Alec sighs humorously. "No, you don't, Belle! Don't be afraid to like something expensive! I want to get something special for you."

"But we need to save our money," I protest. "I don't think it should matter how much it costs."

Alec gently herds me towards the more expensive jewelry where Chance and Riah are browsing. "And that's why you should look over here," he says with a grin.

I fake a groan. Of course I'd love a ring that's nice. But I feel guilty having Alec spend his inherited money on me. I guess we both inherited it, but it still doesn't feel right.

"Ooh! Ooh! This one!" Riah chimes a couple feet to my right. She points down at one of the rings displayed in a collage of many others. I have no idea which one it is. I just know now not to look over there in fear of wanting the same one.

"I can't do this," I say, looking up at Alec. "Can you pick one for me?"

He cups my cheek. "Only if you pick one for me."

I smile. "Thanks."

Eventually, I find a nice golden band with what looks like braided engravings around the edges. Alec won't show me what he picked out for me.

"Why not?" I whine at the register as Alec hands over his card.

"Because," he says, "I have an idea! Just wait, okay?"

I cross my arms, faking a pout. "Fine," I say.

We say goodbye to Riah and Chance and head out of the shop. "Ready to go home?" Alec asks with a sideways glance.

I nod as I let out a sigh of... I don't know. Relief, maybe. Whatever it is, I'm glad at the idea of getting off the streets and into a secluded location. The whole way home, I stare up at the oncoming clouds over the mountains. There's definitely going to be a storm tonight. Gross.

When we finally reach our street, I feel Alec's hand rest on top of mine. "Hey," he says gently, "I was wondering if for dinner tonight, I could do something special for both of us. Is that all right?"

I look over at him curiously. "Sure... What do you have in mind?"

Alec guides me through the hallway into our bedroom. "How about you take a nap, and I'll wake you up when it's ready."

"But I'm not even tired," I protest. But that's a lie. I'm horribly tired after that test today.

"Come here," Alec says, reaching out his hand to me.

I take it as he leads me over to the side of the bed that I sleep on. He gently nudges me to sit down. He picks up my legs, and I let out a small laugh. "What are you doing?" I giggle.

"Just trust me." He pushes my shoulders down onto the mattress, and a tingle in my stomach starts to make me nervous. I don't know what it is—it could be that I'm looking up at Alec as he takes care of me, or maybe it's the fact that I'm falling for him faster than lightning.

Alec brushes my hair behind my ear like any cliché love interest would do, and then he leans down and kisses my forehead. "I know you worry about a lot of things, but I want you to just relax, okay? Forget about all the crap Bayfell presses onto our shoulders. Just think about you—" He kisses my hand "—and me."

My heart soars out of my chest. "Why do you do that?" I ask, covering my face with both hands.

"What?" he laughs nervously.