Reflected Fluroscence

"____? What is a 'hug'?" Ledo asked, crossing his legs. He absent-mindedly played with a bouncy ball he got from the helping of his salary, rolling it between his finger and the metal. He did not want anything when he first came to Earth. He saw nothing essential to purchase. Everything was useless and at the same time, it intrigued him. Still unsure of what to buy, he got the same variety of items every time: anything that would catch his eyes, preferably toys and candy. The sounds and movements what a wind-up crab made after let loose of its twisting key. The many different colors, appearances and tastes he never knew candy could come in - from salty to a shocking sweetness, or sour to a fruity center. He remembers a time when ____ and Amy introduced a few new candies. The first one burnt his mouth. He was forced to keep the small ball in until its red coating and size dissolved into a smaller, juicy white one. Then he experienced, what he thought to be, explosions in his mouth. A strange rock-candy in a packet, called "pop rocks" that made weird noises. He tried to speak, but found no success as when his mouth moved the sounds did, too, only causing his friends to fall to the ground in tears of his distress. And a type where you can chew in your mouth for hours that came in many different flavors and could blow bubbles, called "gum." The refreshing spearmint was one of his favorites.

His friend, ____, a young __-year old girl with (h/c) hair and (e/c) eyes, smiled. "A hug? You've gotten them so many times here." Ledo gasped slightly, leaning over his legs, "I- I have? When did I buy it?" ____ laughed at his dramatic voice. "Every day. It's not something that you buy. It's always free."

He sat back properly looking down momentarily, then gazed up at her. "May I receive an example? I can not... fathom it." Not one to decline him, ____ reassured herself it was only an example Ledo wanted. Giving hugs all the time to her friends she should not be embarrassed about, but she had never given one to Ledo, always being shy around him when it came to physical contact.

"U-um, a h-hug is something between anyone you're with. It can be between friends, family, or lovers."

"Family gives hugs?" Ledo was in awe, "like little brothers?"

She nodded softy. "Yeah. For anyone you care about. It's used in lots of ways. To comfort someone, to greet, to say 'good bye', if someone is cold, to be expressive, to show love and other things."

He stared at her amazed at the many ways a hug can be perceived. "Are there... other ways related to it?"

She nodded. "Mm-hm. The same affects going along with it are... Words, holding hands, kissing and crying." 

They did not fall into Ledo's vocabulary. He blinked and said softly, "I want to see ____'s hug."

The tiniest faint of a blush rised to ____'s cheeks, thinking she managed to get his mind off of him still wanting an example. "Okay." She crawled over to him, moving the toys and candy to the side. Getting on her knees to lean over his crossed legs ____ tucked her hands in between his arms to caress his back. She pulled her body over to him, keeping a slight distance of them melding. Her head hung over his left shoulder as she felt no response. "This is a hug," her voice came out quiet, "it's something physical, not... You know."