turning tides

Amber's POV

"Morning Nana" I chirped to mini Krystal and earned no response.

"I said, good morning, NA.NA." I emphasized childishly and she curtly replied with a gruff, "Morning"

Ugh!

That brat!

Why is she so against me anyways?!

Krystal chided her daughter, "Nana, be nice to Amber. You know I told you she's not feeling too well -"

"She even forgot that we promised about not talking at the table?" Nana said snidely.

I raised my eyebrows while looking at Krystal and pointed at myself, "I said that? Why?"

She ruffled Nana's hair and eyed me sadly, making up an excuse instead of telling about the real reason why, "W-Well, you're always rushing through work, so talking at the table distracts you from eating, causing you to be late for your paperwork."

I choked on my own saliva at that, "I-I'm a workaholic? Me??? Amber Liu??????"

Krystal grinned, "Yeah, you turned out to be one. Guess none of us expected that about you, Amber"

I shook my head in disapproval at myself, "Was my work that interesting? I never thought I could be so absorbed into something so...boring"

Krystal's voice faltered and she eyed me sadly, "Maybe it provided s-some distraction to things."

I thought I knew what she meant, Minah; while Krystal thought, Nana.

I sighed then looked at Nana with an apologetic smile, "Sorry kid, but that dumb rule's taken away. Talk, laugh, cry, shout, go crazy. Do whatever you want, I'd allow that"

Nana's eyes widened and she got excited, "Even let me have two helpings of ice cream??"

Krystal shook her head wildly behind her daughter's vision but I smiled at the little one, "Sure. But you've got to brush your teeth well or you'd spoil your teeth"

Nana grinned for the first time, and I can't help but smile warmer at her because she looks so much like Krystal.

I clapped my hands and grinned, "Hmm, the weather's good today, why not we head out to the amusement park??"

I detected a flash of hurt in Nana's eyes but just like her mother, she was quick to hide it away and she shook her head, "N-No, I want to stay at home"

My eyes widened and I challenged, "What nonsense! No kid wants to just stay at home!"

She crossed her arms and raised her voice, "I don't want to go out!"

I was exasperated, "Why?!"

She finally spilled it, "Because people would look at us funny!"

I was stunned into silence and Krystal rubbed her daughter's back comfortingly while eyeing me oddly.

Nana's eyes were teary, "I don't want people to think I'm some freak for having two mothers!"

I said shakily, "K-Krystal, is it true?"

She nodded, then she patted Nana's head, "People at her kindergarten saw us three, and since people like us aren't common, they'd give snide comments to us...even Nana got the brunt of it in school."