The hairpin

Norway was sitting in a snowdrift, making designs in the air with his magic, as a certain Dane watched him.
They were carefree children, playing until darkness consumed the grey winter sky.
Denmark's voice broke the silence.
"Norway, are we friends?" The question was slightly random. Norway nodded slightly. "Really?!" Denmark yipped, sitting up. Norway nodded again.
Norway had never had a friend, but he was kind of glad he had Denmark as his first. Denmark smiled widely, and fished something out of his pocket.
"What's that?" Norway asked curiously.
Denmark reached out, and pulled Norway's hand up, and gently placed something in it. Norway opened his fingers, revealing a small, silver cross.
"For me?" Norway asked, bewildered.
Denmark's smile grew wider. "Yep! All for you. Here, let me put it on you."
Denmark took the little cross, and swept some of Norway's blonde hair back, carefully pinning it into place.
"There." Denmark sat back, smiling.
Norway's lips parted slightly, and a
smile lifted his face. "Thank you."

~Timeskip~

Norway was frantically searching the house.
"Gotta find it, gotta find it.." He mumbled, tossing unknown objects over his shoulder.
"Norge, what are you looking for?" Iceland asked, barely looking up from his laptop.
"Nothing!" Norway snapped nervously, and continued tossing objects over his shoulder.
"Where is it? It couldn't have just walked away!"
"Norway, you're obviously looking for something. Can we help?"
Finland asked softly.
"No. I don't need your help."
"Are y' sure?" Sweden.
Norway gritted his teeth. "I said no."
"C'mon Norge, let us help. Please?"
"Shut it Dane, don't distract me."
Norway continued to tear apart the chest of unknown objects.
"Norway? Are you sure you don't need help?" That's it.
Norway snapped.
"I SAID I DIDN'T NEED HELP!" The thick book flew through the air, nailing Denmark on the head. He screeched in surprise and probably pain, and fell backwards off the bench he was sitting on.

Disturbed silence.

Iceland was gaping. Finland too.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!"
Norway swiftly strode to where Denmark had fallen, and where he was now rubbing his temple, confused and bewildered. Norway knelt next to him. "Are- are you okay?" Norway tried to touch Denmark's injury, but Denmark shrugged away. "I'm fine Norway." He stood up, and silently walked out.
Finland and Iceland's mouths were still agape.
Norway sighed, and sat on a couch.
"I'm sorry.." He apologized again.
Finland shook himself from his bewildered state. "Norway, why? Why did you get so over-excited? We just wanted to help."
Sweden nodded, but Iceland was still gaping.
"I'm sorry, it's just.. I lost this thing, and it's really important to me, and I just got agitated."
"Well, I don't think Sve appreciates you tearing apart the house." Finland's statement earned a disgruntled mumble from Sweden.
"I said sorry. I just really, really need to find it."
Norway sighed and looked up at the ceiling.
"Why don't you tell us what you're looking for so we can help you?"
Norway blushed bright red.
"No, I'm too embarrassed...And you guys will think it's stupid."
Finland shook his head. "Don't worry, if it's precious to you, we won't think that."
Norway sighed again.
"Fine... It's my cross barrette, it's gone, and it means a lot to me."
Finland smiled. "Of course we'll help you."
Sweden was picking up the objects that were strewn all over the room.
Norway bent to help, but Finland stood up and started searching the bookshelves.
Iceland turned his laptop off and helped as well.
"What's so important about that cross?" Iceland asked, trying his best to annoy his older brother. Norway shot him a glare. "I don't want to talk about it."
Iceland made puppy dog eyes. "Please tell?"
Norway shot him another death glare. If looks could kill, Iceland would be long gone. Iceland winced and walked into the kitchen, looking for the pin as he went.
They all helped, but after a few hours, the search seemed helpless.
Norway sobbed and slumped on the couch. "It's gone forever!" He wailed, shoving his face in a pillow.
Finland touched his shoulder softly. "It'll be okay Norge, we'll find it."
Norway was crying now, tears flowing freely. "You don't understand! Denmark gave it to me, I need it!"
He hadn't meant to say it.
Finland nodded. "We'll find it, I promise."

To be continued....